Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

how weather resistant is weather resistant?

Old 08-07-2007, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how weather resistant is weather resistant?

the canon 1D bodies are suppose to be weather resistant, but what does that really mean?

anyone with one care to chime in?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:16 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as I know it will hold up to some light dust and rain better than the other bodies, but it needs to be paired up with a "weather resistant" lens. I wouldn't dunk it in a river nor keep it exposed in a down pour.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Aug 7 2007, 09:16 AM
As far as I know it will hold up to some light dust and rain better than the other bodies, but it needs to be paired up with a "weather resistant" lens. I wouldn't dunk it in a river nor keep it exposed in a down pour.
seems like a grey area that Canon will probably not honor their warranty if something happens.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by jtpassat,Aug 7 2007, 09:28 AM
seems like a grey area that Canon will probably not honor their warranty if something happens.
It means that if you were to get stuck having to shoot in the rain there would be a margin of reassurance that water wouldnt get "sucked into" the equipment by capillary action or when you pressed the buttons because it was designed with gaskets. It by no means "shoot in the rain". I always carry plastic bags and very large/wide rubber bands to shroud my equipment in the event I do get caught out there, but shoot with rain gear when I intentionally head out into the elements.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:36 AM

Mine's out in all weather with no protection other than occassionally put inside my jacket. Did the same with the 300D too - never had any problem.

That said, I've not submerged it or anything
Old 08-07-2007, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by F1-Fanatic,Aug 7 2007, 09:34 AM
It means that if you were to get stuck having to shoot in the rain there would be a margin of reassurance that water wouldnt get "sucked into" the equipment by capillary action or when you pressed the buttons because it was designed with gaskets. It by no means "shoot in the rain". I always carry plastic bags and very large/wide rubber bands to shroud my equipment in the event I do get caught out there, but shoot with rain gear when I intentionally head out into the elements.
Norm,

Great explaination as always. How big of a factor was this feature when you bought the 1DmIIn?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:47 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It really isn't a big deal. As long as you have a bag or something to stick your gear under, I wouldn't worry about it. I bought the 1D for quick focusing and things like that - weather was never a thought.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Aug 7 2007, 09:47 AM
It really isn't a big deal. As long as you have a bag or something to stick your gear under, I wouldn't worry about it. I bought the 1D for quick focusing and things like that - weather was never a thought.
thanks, debating over 5D or 1MIIn... leaning towards the 5D for $$ and megapix
Old 08-07-2007, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by jtpassat,Aug 7 2007, 09:42 AM
Norm,

Great explaination as always. How big of a factor was this feature when you bought the 1DmIIn?
Not really a big issue... I keep bags and big rubber bands in my bag at all times if I get caught out, but it's never been an issue. Even when I was shooting with my 10D. The extra protection is nice though.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by jtpassat,Aug 7 2007, 09:49 AM
thanks, debating over 5D or 1MIIn... leaning towards the 5D for $$ and megapix
Two different tools for two different jobs entirely

Quick Reply: how weather resistant is weather resistant?