Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Lens Reviews from S2Ki members

Old 04-10-2007, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XTi has no zoom because it is lens-specific. So, you can purchase a prime (fixed) lens that will give you one focal length (zoom value), or you can purchase a zoom lens that can vary from 10-22mm to 70-300mm, all the way to 600mm. Then you have teleconverters which will double the focal length of your lens. (600mm would become 1200mm etc.).

Image-stabilization is also lens specific. Some lenses have it and some don't... but IS comes with a price!

XTi is the way to go between those two if you're interested in photography as a hobby. If you wanting a casual camera that can't change lenses and is also compact, then get the S3. The S3 won't have much resale value, thats for sure. Hope this helps!

Mods- Feel free to delete both of these posts in a little while as they don't go with the subject of the thread.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Canon EF 200mm F2.8L Mk II
Retail price: $640
Fred Miranda Review
Rating: 10/10

Pros: Ultra-sharp, very fast focus (USM with full-time manual focus), creamy bokeh, L build quality, low price, low weight, relatively small size, F2.8!!, not white (so you won't get mugged in Europe with it; does have the red stripe), includes lens hood and bag

Cons: Fixed focal length, No tripod collar included, it's too bad that on a 1.6x crop it's 320mm since that's not a length one uses every day

MTF Chart (from Canon):

Sample Image:

Review:
This is lens is extremely sharp, often sharper than your own eyes. Not "sharp as an L" or "very sharp" but one of the sharpest lenses ever made for the 35mm format. Using this lens is revelatory and will quickly get your mind churning, thinking that if all L lenses are this good that you can somehow justify spending $10,000 on lenses. But in reality, there's only two other lenses sharper than this for the Canon mount in any length, price or format: Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II and Canon EF 135mm f/2L. In the same focal length and price range you're looking at the Canon 70-200mm F4 L but the 200mm "Primepipe" completely destroys it for image quality (it's not even close -- the 70-200mm F4 looks like a toy when you compare the two on a 20D). The superb Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8L is close but this lens edges it out for clarity and at half the price the 200mm F2.8L Mk II is a steal any way you look at it.

Using this lenses is heavenly. It's compact and light but also so fast at focusing that it feels like the camera starts reading your mind. On my 20D, this lens is often about 5x as fast as my eye can change focus. My most used lens, the 50mm F1.4, feels very fast but compared to this the 200mm F2.8L II is in a completely different league for speed. This actually does make a difference in your photography because when you're at 200mm (or 320mm with the 20D) shooting AI focus or continuous focus is common and the 200mm holds onto a subject far better than your eyes and brain can in many situations. I could say more here but my guess is that my camera body is the limiting factor on holding perfect focus a lot of the time.

Being prime has its advantages. First, you get a more compact, lighter lens, that costs a lot less. Plus, you get a black lens. If you're not a professional definitely try to consider what a 1.5ft long white lens looks like when you walk around with it. This lens is no 2 inch long 50mm, but it at least isn't bright white. You'll get stares when you have this lens around your neck but you won't get people falling over themselves to find out what you're framing. If you shoot any candids or shoot in public places like zoos the discreet look of this lens can be an asset.

Cons:
By far, the biggest cons are by design. First, being 200mm the lens is not one that you will use every day. 200mm, and especially 320mm on 1.6x crop cameras, is not a very useful length in the vast majority of situations, but if you want a superb telephoto this may be the one for you. If you hold your arm at full extension this lens is about 4 thumbnails of your field of view. That can be tough; it's very close to your subject. Second, this is a prime lens and it does not zoom which further limits its uses. Those that buy this lens will probably a) value absolute sharpness over utility b) treasure the constraint that forces one to approach situations creatively c) don't think that zoom is worth $1,000 and a slight loss in image quality (that would be be me).

Summary:
This is a superb lens and one of the sharpest 35mm format lenses you can buy. Sure, you don't have zoom but the lens is perfect. Plus, at $640 it is a ridiculous bargain on a 1.6x crop camera (Canon 20D, 30D, Rebel, XT, XTi) for an ultra-sharp 320mm F2.8 lens. This lens get the highest possible recommendation from me.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:19 PM

Tokina 12-24
After trying to use my existing 28-135 on a 30D it didn
Old 08-26-2007, 07:07 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Time to add some more:

Canon 100mm f2.8 USM Macro

Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS

With 1.4x teleconverter on tripod for 6 sec. at f9

With 1.4x teleconverter through glass hand-held at 1/50th of a sec @ 280mm

Canon 24-105mm f4L IS
        1/13th sec at 50mm - hand-held

1/4th of a sec around 5:30 AM before sunrise @ 35mm - hand-held

Old 08-26-2007, 07:39 AM
        Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Canon 300mm f2.8L IS

300mm at f4 with a 1/320nd sec. shutter - hand-held

420mm (1.4xTC) at f4 with a 1/320nd sec. shutter - hand-held

300mm at f5.6 with a 1/125th sec. shutter - hand-held

Old 08-27-2007, 10:17 AM

Canon Mount

Tamron 28-75mm f2.8

It's my walk around lens and the only lens I own so I can't really say much. But I can say that it takes incredibly sharp images! I shoot f2.8 all day long with no problems at all. Very versatile range and I can't complain for a lens under $400. (I paid $270 used).

My contribution (I'm still new so go easy on me):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...egoryNavigation
          Old 12-11-2007, 02:16 AM

great info guy..i have a nikon d80. the only lens ive been using lately is my 18-200 vr lens. im just getting into this. ant recommendation on lenses. im looking for a wide angle.
          Old 12-27-2007, 01:39 AM

...Cont for Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8

Some prints from this lens:

This lens is very SHARP, even wide open at f/2.8. Color contrast is good, and AF is on the money. It isn't the fastest focus, nor the quietest, but it does get the job done.

For under $400, this lens has incredible value.
          Old 12-28-2007, 04:16 PM

I have three lenses for my Canon 10D:

Canon 17-40 f/4L: Excellent walking around lens. I always use this in ways that the slow maximum aperture isn't a problem. It's reliable, with excellent optics.

Canon 28-70 f/2.8L: Excellent lens, but I don't have much call for a lens in this range, with the 1.6 crop.

Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8: Absolutely excellent lens, in all apertures and focal lengths. Fantastic value.
          Old 02-12-2008, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just ordered one of these

http://www.digitalrev.com/en/product_detai...57&category_id=

to take to motor racing events (short of paddock shots I reckon it'll cover the entire range of shots down the straight at Stowe at silverstone or the Bomb hole at Donnington). Just hope I don't get a hernia since it sounds a bit of a heavy weight.

Go on. Please tell me why I've bought the wrong lense