Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Looking to upgrade Canon camera

Old 05-21-2012, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to upgrade Canon camera

I'm looking to upgrade to a little better Canon from my 1000D. I do a lot of action shots and only do photos so video function isn't important. I have never done prints so are megapixels really that important? I will be buying used. Debating between the 4.2MP EOS 1D and the 10.1MP 40D. One is 6.5 FPS and the other is 8 FPS, both are around 350-450 on amazon and ebay. Any deciding info any of you know of that will help me? Still not great with photography. I've played for a number of years, but starting to get serious with it. I'm tired of taking shots that remind me of something; I want shots that paint the picture of what is happening for everyone.

I have a few canon lenses and like canon, but if any other cameras in the price range come to mind please let me know.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10 Megapixels and 8 FPS is great!

Be sure that the Auto Focus on the camera you purchase is decent.

What kind of action are you photographing? What sort of ISOs do you require?
Old 05-24-2012, 03:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IIGQ4U
10 Megapixels and 8 FPS is great!

Be sure that the Auto Focus on the camera you purchase is decent.

WHat kind of action are you photographing? What sort of ISOs do you need?
Neither is 10MP and 8 fps.

The 1D is 4 MP and 8 fps.
The 40D is 10 MP and 6.5 fps.

The 1D is a really dated camera. It has a CCD sensor, poor battery life, small display, and isn't compatible with EF-S lenses. I think the 40D is a much better choice.

Why do you want to upgrade your camera body? What does your current camera not do that you'd want your new camera to do?

There's a good chance that you'd be better off putting that $400 to a better lens.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:41 PM

I would say neither, because the upgrade isn't that big of an upgrade enough. I'd save that money for some lighting gear or a nice lens. Don't need gear to make great images.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by dwight

The 1D is a really dated camera. It has a CCD sensor, poor battery life, small display, and isn't compatible with EF-S lenses. I think the 40D is a much better choice.

Why do you want to upgrade your camera body? What does your current camera not do that you'd want your new camera to do?

There's a good chance that you'd be better off putting that $400 to a better lens.
I've been researching like crazy and came to the conclusion a 40D is much better unless I wanna step over the 1k mark for a Mk ii.

I'm looking for more FPS because I do BMX shots mostly. I also would like the option for a remove shutter release. The larger LCD is a huge plus that was kicking me on the 1D. Plus, the 40D is supposed to have a much better AF capability than the 1100D which is better than my 1000D. (internet talk though, haven't tried it. ref to digitalrev on that one)

Is the 50-60D superior in reality when you remove the video option and the swivel screen?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Calamari
I'd save that money for some lighting gear
This. Lighting equip will do way more for your pictures than a newer body. Or invest in a nice lens...a good lens now is still going to be a good lens 20 years from now. The body is probably the last thing Id be upgrading, a 1D would probably be a downgrade lol. The xs is still a nice camera.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by importkid
Originally Posted by dwight' timestamp='1337903144' post='21727621

I've been researching like crazy and came to the conclusion a 40D is much better unless I wanna step over the 1k mark for a Mk ii.

I'm looking for more FPS because I do BMX shots mostly. I also would like the option for a remove shutter release. The larger LCD is a huge plus that was kicking me on the 1D. Plus, the 40D is supposed to have a much better AF capability than the 1100D which is better than my 1000D. (internet talk though, haven't tried it. ref to digitalrev on that one)

Is the 50-60D superior in reality when you remove the video option and the swivel screen?
I don't have much experience with BMX. I'm assuming that you're doing BMX photos with friends.

Something more like this:

Not BMX racing:

What do you think of that http://www.flickr.com/photos/foppa/2642142061/meta/? It was taken with a Canon 20D. That's a fairly old camera which is probably less capable than your XS/1000.

I wrote some tips, but then realized that there's probaby better stuff already on the internet, but I left this one since it has a link.http://www.sportog.com/photographer.php
http://samadamsphoto.wordpress.com/2...x-photography/
http://bmx.transworld.net/1000123436...ter-bmx-photo/

I hope these links help. If you don't understand anything or have trouble trying to do something please let us/me know, but make sure you have a clear specific goal in mind before you trying to throw money at a problem.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:47 AM

Thanks Dwight. The S&M one is really informative with great shots. I know there is a ton of capability in the XS, I was just wanting something with remote shutter release and a little nicer. I don't believe it will give me better photos. Guess I will spend my money on a Sigma 10-20 and get some speed lights or sigma lamps.

Just in case someone else stumbles upon this for BMX photos I found one with a little more composition that conveys what I'm interested in more than photo one (however, the clarity is amazing in that shot)

Old 05-29-2012, 10:33 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Shutter-Releas.../dp/B001G9Y98I