Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Mats on pics

Old 08-11-2009, 04:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mats on pics

Ok general photo question.

When framing a pic do you mat it?

Here are 2 pics I pp"ed today and decided to add mats to. I think it enhances these particular 2. Now I need to get some frames

Old 08-11-2009, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually mat with a physical mat instead of doing it in PS or whatever. I like the depth it gives.

Without a mat you loose the edges of the pictures which I feel is distracting
Old 08-12-2009, 03:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will mat photos with physical mat if I think it requires it. Some photos like to have that empty space around it to breath, while other (often landscapes for myself) work very well with just a frame that matches the theme of the photo (roughed up wood frame for old barn etc).

I do agree that your selected mats compliment the photos very well.

If you have a local art supply store (or even a crafts Michael's kind of store) you should be able to reproduce those mats fairly easily.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:25 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

for presentation - hanging on the wall or showing it to your friends - yes. but I rather frame it.

for professional review - no. it distracts from viewing the photo.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:05 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

This is the best place I've found to order mats from. Shipping is expensive though, so buy in bulk.

http://www.goldenstateart.com/categories.html?cPath=100

I just ordered 5 each of some random colors and for black and white I got 15.

A few of them had imperfections... so be warned. The best pricing doesn't come without a compromise.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to cut my own mats but I wasted a LOT of material getting the perfect bevel corners (even with a mid-grade cutting system). Now I just buy them. I only mat serious "stuff to hang."
Old 08-12-2009, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by nibble,Aug 12 2009, 08:25 AM

for professional review - no. it distracts from viewing the photo.
I have heard that before also, what I dont get is a mat will compliment a framed photo but when the photo is posted people do not like to see a mat.

Now why is this? Opinions happily welcomed.

Personally I like a mat or at least an edge on a photo when viewing.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:45 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

the reviewers like to see the photos without ay distraction. also, although you may think the mat would complement it, reviewers may disagree. having said that, the mat becomes part of your art. so even if photo is great, if mat doesn't complement to the maximum, it will more likely hurt you. also, if you had 30 photos to review, think about how thick that package would be. if you were to take this to gallery, it's instant rejection. - at least in NYC. photos with mat is also hard to move around. reviewers likes to re-arrange them. with the mat, it's harder. after 3 photos, the reviewer will loose their patients as they may have to review 99 other people with 30 photos each.

BTW, never bring 30 photos to gallery reviewer. that's too much. should be around 15. if your work is beyond great, perhaps 20. (i heard most of beginners bring 30~40)
Old 08-12-2009, 06:33 PM

^ Thanks that is a great explanation. with that said i should have phrased my question for pics viewed on the web. I totally agree on printed shots.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zzziippyyy,Aug 11 2009, 05:33 PM
^^ Dave, please help me understand...

I know I'm totally out of my league here among so many peeps with great photography skills and equipment, but I'm trying to understand this photo. Dave, I know you're a professional, and I read your C&C comments with great interest about the photos that are posted in this Forum. I've worked in graphic design and have dabbled in photography, so I'm very interested in learning more.

The trouble I have with the above photo is that only a small portion at the front of the boat is in focus. There is a big black mass in the center of the photo, with very little detail (one of the things that has been criticized in other photos posted on this Forum). Portions of the water and the back of the boat are all out of focus, so I find myself rubbing my eyes trying to make it look better. On the other hand, your photo of the flower is perfect (IMHO). The flower is the center of attention, and the background being blurred enhances the detail of the flower.

I really want to like your photo of the boat, but my eyes don't like looking at it. Maybe some explanation, etc, will help me appreciate the technique.

Thanks,
--Jerry

Quick Reply: Mats on pics