Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Motorcycles at the track

Old 08-11-2007, 05:27 PM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts
Default Motorcycles at the track

So two friends of mine went to Pocono today to run their motorcycles in a rider education event. I decided to head over to shoot the event. The more you shoot, the more you learn, right?

I tried a few different positions around the track. I was fairly close at all of them, so the 70-200 + 1.7x TC was plenty of lens for the situation.

Here's what I found out. RAW files still get me. I try, but find that in many cases, I just accept the RAW file and then save it. Am I missing the point here? I do see the difference in the RAW file and the basic JPG the camera also saves, but tend to do very little tweaking of raw files with the exception of some level fixing for both ends of the color scale. I guess if I see the difference, it has value, but seems to add lots of time to the processing side.

Here's some shots. Some C&C would be great. I have a few more shots up at http://picasaweb.google.com/HeyItsGary/NESBA81107. I think about 1/2 are uploaded to S2KI.

Thanx! Gary

The first few are my favorites so far

I particularly like this one. Of all the shots from this angle, its the only one with the bikes in line. Another split second, the first bike would have been a little deeper, with the second bike starting to lean. That was the goal, oh well.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice!
Old 08-12-2007, 12:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a fun day out and the photo's look pretty good (particularly the head on ones).

If you go again you might want to play with the shutter speed a bit to try and get it a bit slower. Everything is static and there's no idea of speed in the photos. If you can get the speed right then you should be able to get the background to blurr whilst getting a clear shot of the bike
Old 08-12-2007, 03:28 AM

fluffyninja, Thanks.

I found the panning very difficult. It was my intention as the frozen look bugs me. I do have some in the collection.

Depending on what location I was at, it was easier than not. Some of the shots were intended to shoot shallow DOF, one bike in the turn with the rest OOF. When I dropped the shutter speed I got hammered.

Here's two panning shots that I think came out good.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Nice work, I have trouble panning too - I think it's practice!!

on the first line shot, I'd crop in tighter to the bikes and lose the bottom of the photo
Old 08-12-2007, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Straight panning left to right is a doddle. It's when they're coming towards or going away as well that's the bitch

Oh and turn off any IS/VR you might have too - it screws up with panning unless there's a single axis mode and the pan is a straight left<>right.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Former Moderator

What type of lens is best suited for panning? A long fast zoom? Would my 150mm macro work?
Old 08-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any lens will work, but the Canon IS mode 2 lenses have a helpful advantage. I also like a lens that gets my left hand further away from the body. Fast focus helps in AI Servo.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:30 PM

Good timing! That first photo has more going for it than that too.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:36 AM

Thanks everyone.

AE- I cropped the first one like that because I thought it gave some motion, or 'room' for the bikes to turn.