Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

My first DSLR

Old 11-30-2006, 04:59 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you crazy? Have you never heard of a free market economy? Capitalism......some of those things that make the Western countries so strong.

Screw your local market if they're screwing you.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Poindexter,Nov 30 2006, 07:59 AM
Are you crazy? Have you never heard of a free market economy? Capitalism......some of those things that make the Western countries so strong.

Screw your local market if they're screwing you.
sure, screw your local market. How old are you, ten? When you get older, you will find that spending your money locally benefits you and the community. And you will also find that acting selfishly doesn't really pay off in the long run.

What the poster was talking about had nothing to do with "free market," or capitalism. It had to do with wasting the time and resources of a local shop with no intention of ever buying anything from them. If you don't need to handle a camera or ask questions, sure, order online. But if you are going to go in and waste someone's time, at least have the decency to pay them for their time. Simple common courtesy, and the basis of capitalism and the free market - you know, the part where everyone has the right to profit from their effort.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Former Moderator

I'm in sales, and I know how the local economy works. If I cannot provide a price that is anywhere close to an online competitor, nor a value added program that would offset that price, I wouldn't expect someone to purchase from me.

Yeah, I'm ten
Old 11-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Banned

yes, but in this case, the value added is the ability to handle the various models, and ask questions, prior to purchase. In addition, there is substantial value in having a local shop to go to when you have problems. A person can save far more than a couple hundred bucks by developing a good relationship with a local shop. You can try out lenses, make the right decision on equipment the first time, and even get deals on items, simply by letting the shop know you are a real customer and not one of those assholes that comes in to waste everyone's time only to buy online.

No wonder you're in sales - reading and other, more complex thought processes are too complex
Old 12-01-2006, 05:07 AM
Former Moderator

Okay buddy - you and I can just agree to disagree.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:17 AM

I can understand paying for the convenience of handling the cameras and asking questions before purchasing, but it sure as hell is not worth $131 to me, as is the case with this purchase.

I've already implied in my other posts that i'm willing to spend a little extra to buy local, and I do know it's a good thing to do. I also said that this is way too much of a price difference to do it, however. $131 can mean a lot of things to a lot of people, and that's not chump-change in my life.

Oh, and thanks for the Asshole comment. I'd like to think we could have a conversation of opinions without the negative remarks bringing the whole tone down.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Liebernoodle,Dec 1 2006, 08:17 PM
I'd like to think we could have a conversation of opinions without the negative remarks bringing the whole tone down.

We all have different opinions, but there is no need to resort to personal attacks, which are quite rightly not allowed on s2ki.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cameras are one of those things that are just better to buy locally. There are too many grey-market resellers out there. If something should happen to your online-purchased grey market camera, there is no warranty. That alone makes it worth buying locally.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Station,Dec 1 2006, 03:10 PM
Cameras are one of those things that are just better to buy locally. There are too many grey-market resellers out there. If something should happen to your online-purchased grey market camera, there is no warranty. That alone makes it worth buying locally.

that's pretty much the bottom line.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Station,Dec 1 2006, 04:10 PM
Cameras come with warranties from the store you bought them from? I would expect them to tell me to talk to the manufacturer unless it was a simple 30-day return sort of thing.

I agree though, if they're willing to help you with a broken camera, that is another good reason to buy at the local store.