Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

New XTi Owner (and aspiring photo guru)

Old 06-15-2007, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and congrats... depth of field is really affected by your aperture rather than the exposure. its also affected by focal length but we'll stick with wide open aperture for now
Old 06-15-2007, 10:09 AM

QUOTE (GT_2003 @ Jun 15 2007, 11:12 AM)
depth of field is also affected by distance. It gets shallower as the point of focus gets closer to the camera. To really see the change in DOF, focus on an object, say the middle of a ruler, from about 6 feet away. Take a series of shots at each aperture from wide open to stopped down all the way. The wide open shots will have less depth of field.

Depth of field effects are most dramatic with fast lenses, as the wider apertures result in very narrow DOF at closer distances. The longer the focal length, the narrower the depth of field at a given aperture and focus distance.

Go to this page and print out the chart at the bottom of it. If you don't have a tripod take pictures of the chart outside. You'll see the difference in dof as your distance to the chart changes. Plus you can verify that your camera is focusing properly.
http://focustestchart.com/chart.html
Old 06-15-2007, 10:59 AM

Thanks! I'll try that focus chart at home tonight and see if I get the expected results
Old 06-15-2007, 11:37 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm not sure whether the XTi can shoot tethered to a laptop or not. TBH, I left the software in the box when I got mine.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:49 PM

Hahaha I did too except I got bored and looked at the CD's and one of them mentioned something about connecting the camera to a laptop and shooting. It was EOS Software or something to that effect. We'll see if it works or not, but it would be neat if it did
Old 06-15-2007, 07:04 PM

e3opian, I just gave it a shot and if I hook up the camera via a USB cable and use the "EOS Utility" that is on the disk it does in fact slave to the computer. Images are saved on the hard drive (can also be saved on the memory card as well), and you can control every function of the camera including the shutter from the PC.

Pretty cool for a "consumer" camera I think even if it is on the high end of the consumer range!

Also played around with the F stop and shutter some more and I'm starting to get the feel for it and their relationship to the exposure and DOF (I was trying to experiment with stuff too far away earlier). Hope to get out and try taking some shots this weekend.

If I get a chance to get out and shoot I'll post them up for a critique and advice
Old 06-16-2007, 04:22 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Very I might have to try shooting tethered whenever I get around to doing the ever popular lightboxes from a few months back. How is the speed compared to shooting straight to the card?