Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Nikon D300s Just arrived

Old 12-10-2009, 02:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kupo,Dec 10 2009, 02:01 PM
I think he was referencing more towards large prime lenses like the 70-200. The 70-300 isn't that heavy.
Correct, but a larger grip does give you better leverage no matter what lens your using.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to be nitpicky, but 70-200 isn't a prime...
Old 12-14-2009, 03:49 PM

Look what you made me do man, sold my D3000 and just ordered the D90
Old 05-04-2010, 10:08 AM

OK this is the one of very few threads with search hits on "Zeikos" battery grip, so I am hoping to piggyback here for info on that specific gear instead of opening my mouth with a new thread

I am using the D300s (upgraded to that from D50 less than 2 months ago) and looking to get a battery grip ahead of my upcoming vacation.

I know people with Canon 5D MkII using Zeikos battery grip instead of Canon OEM one and are very happy with it. In fact, they say the Zeikos one has weather seal while Canon one does not.

How is the Zeikos battery grip compared to the Nikon OEM one? The price diff is so huge that makes me think Nikon is really way overpricing the OEM one.

Reviews? Comments? Thanks
Old 05-04-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by i_s2k,May 4 2010, 10:08 AM
OK this is the one of very few threads with search hits on "Zeikos" battery grip, so I am hoping to piggyback here for info on that specific gear instead of opening my mouth with a new thread

I am using the D300s (upgraded to that from D50 less than 2 months ago) and looking to get a battery grip ahead of my upcoming vacation.

I know people with Canon 5D MkII using Zeikos battery grip instead of Canon OEM one and are very happy with it. In fact, they say the Zeikos one has weather seal while Canon one does not.

How is the Zeikos battery grip compared to the Nikon OEM one? The price diff is so huge that makes me think Nikon is really way overpricing the OEM one.

i 2nd this question - looked at this a couple times for my d80 but never knew anyone who even had this product.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by i_s2k,May 4 2010, 01:08 PM

The grip for all intents and purposes is the same as the OEM except at a fraction of the price. I would have no problem buying from them, and have bought off shoe cords made by them over the Canon counterpart because of the price difference. A grip would be the same reason.. I sell both, and in fact, suggest them to every customer as an alternative.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:19 PM

Thanks! Explicit count: 1
More feedback still welcome
Old 05-05-2010, 03:48 PM

I did some googling on the Zeikos battery grip... ran into at least 2 reports of the camera not switching over to the secondary (in camera body) battery when the primary (in grip) goes dead!! Anyone has this problem???

http://www.hawkee.com/shop/prod/5411122/
The Zeikos battery grip does provide the controls needed to shoot vertical. It also provides the camera's power while the battery it contains is charged. However, once the grip battery dies, you're dead in the water. Despite the fact that my Nikon D300 menu options are correctly set, the grip does not allow the camera's internal battery to take over. When the grip battery dies, the camera shuts down. At that point you either change/charge the battery in the grip OR remove the grip and use the battery in the camera. Either way, the grip has become, basically, an expensive and inconvenient extra battery holder. I can keep an extra battery in my bag for a lot less money and swap it in my camera with a lot less hassle. I wrote to Zeikos customer service for a fix I was told they couldn't help me - I needed to read my camera manual. Not a lot of help there. If you are considering this Zeikos grip, be aware that all you are buying is an adapter to shoot vertical. Even then, think about what
you'll have to do to remove it when the battery dies (tripod adapter? camera connection cover? etc.) before you decide if it's worth it. I'll be returning mine.