Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

NYC 16 Shot Pano Problem

Old 12-17-2006, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NYC 16 Shot Pano Problem

Anyone know why the sky, what looks like different steps, has different shades? This a pano shot consisting for 16 shots. Each shot has that hard edge light fall off. I was under a lamp post, would the stray light from the post do this? Sorry for the newb ques.

The shot was taken w/ a Sigma 30mm consisting of 16shots. The shot was taken in manual (always) f/16 @ 30secs. I AF on the Empire State building & set the focus on manual thereafter. I started from the left to the right. I have a feeling that the lamp post on my left side caused stray light. Although the lens did have a hood.

The shot is unedited, except for the photomerge.

Here's another pano taken in a different location. This is a 6shot pano taken w/ a 50mm, manual, f/16 @ 30secs. This example shows no hard edge shade fall off.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's because each individual shot was metered independenly. This results in the sky being a slightly different shade in every shot.

You need to set your camera on a manual mode, or otherwise lock the exposure setting prior to doing a panorama series. The other, less desireable option is to use photoshop or something to blend the edges together. You can probably successfully blend the edges in the one you already took. It looks good BTW.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by no_really,Dec 18 2006, 10:20 AM
it's because each individual shot was metered independenly. This results in the sky being a slightly differnt shade in every shot.

You need to set your camera on a manual mode, or otherwise lock the exosure setting prior to doing a panorama series. The other, less desireable option is to use photoshop or something to blend the edges together. You can probably successfully blend the edges in the one you already took. It looks good BTW.
I agree... Also, I thought an image that wide would require more than 16 shots.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:16 AM

How do you lock the exposure?? (Breaks out the manual as we speak). Oh ok got it. I'll go back tonight & take another shot(s). This time w/ the exposure locked. Thanks!!! I'll post results tonight.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:24 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with above and I would also add fixed ISO rather than auto.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by iLuveketchup,Dec 18 2006, 11:16 AM
How do you lock the exposure?? (Breaks out the manual as we speak). Oh ok got it. I'll go back tonight & take another shot(s). This time w/ the exposure locked. Thanks!!! I'll post results tonight.
Shoot with your camera in manual mode. Meter for correct exposure and then recompose for your other shots. As long as you are shooting in manual mode and don't touch the ISO, Aperture, or Shutter Speed for all intents and purposes the exposure is locked and will not change
Old 12-18-2006, 12:57 PM

[QUOTE=F1-Fanatic,Dec 18 2006, 01:35 PM] Shoot with your camera in manual mode.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lock the white balance either in-camera or in raw conversion too!
Old 12-18-2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Dec 18 2006, 02:12 PM
Lock the white balance either in-camera or in raw conversion too!
White balance is the same in ACR 3.6 on all 16 shots. Here is crop to make it easier to see what I'm talking about. What is that 45 degree line in all the shots? Please don't mind those spots on the photo. I have dust on my sensor. This crop consists of 5.5 shots (you can tell by the dust).

Old 12-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Banned

you know, the problem is probably the lens. Wides commonly have issues with light fall-off as you get to the edges, and the particular way your panoramic scene is put together is probably exaggerating the issue. In many cases, the corners can be a full stop off of the center of the image. Most 50mm lenses don't exhibit any light fall-off at all, which is why your 50mm panoramic looks so smooth.

There's nothing wrong with the particular lens, nor is this problem confined to Sigma. It's just a function of wide angle lenses.