Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Photo Editing Software...

Old 04-23-2007, 02:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Photo Editing Software...

I really don't know anything about editing photos, and was wondering what photo editing software people use. I heard of Photoshop, but what others are there? Any that are affordable, without spending an arm or a leg? Pros/Cons between some you have tried?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA
Old 04-24-2007, 05:28 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're planning to get into photography more, you should go ahead and start with the tool you'll eventually be using anyway: Photoshop.

Go to Adobe's website and test drive it for a month for free. The first time you open this program it is intimidating - if you have no experience in the graphic side of the Adobe universe, you're going to feel as though you're looking at something that was half written in English and half written in some sort of physics language.

It takes time to get used to it, and it takes even longer to master it. I use Photoshop everyday for building advertisements at work and post processing my photography, but I wouldn't say I've mastered it - I'm pretty good, and could instruct classes but I'm nowhere near where some of my colleagues in NAPP are. I've been using Photoshop for over 3 years now - almost daily.

If you use the trial, Google "Photoshop Tutorial" to find some stuff. When CS2 first came out I threw this tutorial together: http://poindexter.smugmug.com/gallery/2594219