Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

A pic from Scotland

Old 04-09-2010, 04:49 AM

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Default A pic from Scotland

This is one of my fave pics I took in Scotland a couple of years ago. On a country road near the little town of Cove, on Loch Long. With one of those disposable cameras. Lots of the houses there are painted in bright colors and have gingerbread on them. We call this the Hansel and Gretel house. My +1 just did an oil painting from it. His art class members liked the photo and the painting. Thought I'd share.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Deb, i notice no comments. I will say I like the shot and as far as nitpicking it shooting closer and a different composition would have done wonders with it. By that I mean zooming in and eliminating even the top of the fence and the foilage on the left side would be a great improvement. I gather you were on vaca or visiting and not able to "trespass" to get a different shot. Thanks for posting nice to see something different in here. It's a nice scene regardless.

Dave
Old 04-12-2010, 07:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice reproduction though I agree, that you should probably eliminate the fence, or draw it into the picture more. Also make sure if it is in your frame to try and level it as when it is too close to level, but not, then it is most likely an accident and looks as such. Also a last note, the leaves on the left side are too much in focus to ignore, but not in focus enough to add to the composition. Next time you find yourself in a situation like this, try taking the same shot with two focal points, one on the house and one on the foreground leaves. Then you can later blend the images together so that everything is in sharp focus. Or of course you can open your aperture some and blur the foreground some more for another effect.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:37 AM

Well, I was using a disposable camera, so not much of a chance to experiment. Thanks for the comments. I have a nice Nikon - but didn't take it on this trip.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Lol, the red edging reminds me of the AM race cars.

Interesting tidbit on the house though!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:00 AM

That looks !