Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

random tip of the day: Macro without a macro lens

Old 08-04-2010, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default random tip of the day: Macro without a macro lens

this isn't anything new but after talking to any relative newbie with a DSLR, nobody seems to know this trick. so i just figured i would post it up. if it's something new for at least one person, then great

so far i've tried this with an 18-55 kit lens and 50mm 1.8. simply take your lens and hold it up to the camera body backwards (with the lens mount facing out). on the kit lens (for Nikon anyways) you will have to hold the aperture ring open with your finger. you can find the little tab that adjusts this around the mount on the lens. on the 50mm 1.8, this can be adjusted manually with the ring on the lens so it's quite a bit easier. i would recommend opening up the aperture to it's widest so it lets in a lot of light. make sure the camera is on Manual mode. you will have to experiment with shutter and ISO. start with a focal length of 50mm. the smaller the focal length number, the more zoomed in (and shaky) the image will be so 50mm is a good learning point. now hold your camera up to the subject, physically move back and forth to focus (the focusing ring will not work for this) and snap away.

i hope this makes sense. see below for a couple pics i've taken. and here for a decent tutorial (though contrary to this tutorial, i only used a single lens for my photos) http://stephenelliot.com/2007/05/15/revers...raphy-tutorial/

Old 08-04-2010, 09:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep that tip is an oldie but a goodie, thanks for sharing
Old 08-05-2010, 04:13 PM

it actually works better if you can find a step down ring to attach your lenses together...
Old 08-05-2010, 05:04 PM

cool trick; never thought about turning the lens around.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:13 PM

never heard of this before. I'll have to give it a try. thanks!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by HonCBRf2,Aug 5 2010, 04:13 PM
it actually works better if you can find a step down ring to attach your lenses together...
yes but i was just trying to make a point that this can be done with no extra equipment. i'm proud of those pics i posted above considering they just came from a 18-55 kit lens.