Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Sigma Vs. Tamron

Old 10-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't test a lens's sharpness in not ideal conditions. My Tamron outside in midday produces RAZOR sharp photos at 2.8. They are so sharp, that pixel peeping an eyelash is STILL sharp.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by JoeyBalls,Oct 25 2010, 07:04 PM
usually lens' are at their sharpest stopped down to F8 or so, 1.4 is a very shallow DOF and things appear soft, but they are just out of focus..........
You don't even need to go to F8. I had this conversation with Steve in depth, and we both agreed that one or two stops above wide open is the sharpest. However, shooting landscapes, I shoot at F11.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why would you lower your F stop or raise it? Im guessing it has something to do with lighting
Old 10-26-2010, 06:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^ Larger F stop (small F Number) is a larger opening, allows more light in, gives you a higher shutter speed in low-light (fast lens) Also has better Bokeh

this is a quick and dirty, i'll let someone else chime in
Old 10-26-2010, 06:42 AM

have you guys used the nikkor 1.4G?

I blew up the picture in ps last night and checked out the pics i took @ f1.4 and color fringes are quite noticeable, i was a bit disappointed as I sold the 1.8D i had for this one..

I also noticed that even at f1.4, if you don't have a steady hand, you're not getting good shots with available lighting.. which was why I got the 1.4...
Old 10-26-2010, 07:23 AM

so the lower the F stop the faster the lens can shoot in low light? I know my kit lens is real slow in low light. I didnt know that had to do with the lens i figured that was the body or something.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyBalls,Oct 25 2010, 07:04 PM
1.4 is a very shallow DOF and things appear soft, but they are just out of focus..........
Except for what your focused on
Old 10-27-2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by vtecmonster,Oct 26 2010, 09:23 AM
so the lower the F stop the faster the lens can shoot in low light? I know my kit lens is real slow in low light. I didnt know that had to do with the lens i figured that was the body or something.
there are 3 variables to consider - shutter speed, aperture and sensitivity (ISO).

longer shutter speeds (lower fractions) and bigger lens opening (larger aperture, smaller f-number) let in more light.

a higher ISO is more sensitive to the light you have, at the expense of noise.

along with changing the amount of light, the changing aperture also adjusts the depth of field - (wider opening gives shallower depth of field - your subject will be in focus, but things in front and behind of will not).

shutter speed is how long the shutter is open. the longer it's open, the more movement (both of the subject and the shooter) has an effect. a tripod (or VR) can address shooter motion, but with moving subjects, your limited by shutter speed.

ISO is sort of the last step, ideally kept as low as possible that will provide for the necessary minimum shutter speed required, given the desired depth of field.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Oct 11 2010, 09:46 PM
As a whole, yes, Nikon/Canon is better than both. However, there ARE a small amount of lenses from the third party guys that IMHO are better optically than their Nikon/Canon counterparts.
agree with the general premise - you're less likely to go wrong with the camera manufacturers lenses. however, in any particular case, there may be a 3rd party lens that is "better" in some (or even most) respects. you'll have to consult various reviews to get a sense of what the differences are and which are important to you.