Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Trying to improve our photo contests.....

Old 07-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trying to improve our photo contests.....

Ok guys, as you can see, our monthly photography contests have dwindled down to a single entry per month.

This makes it

a)Boring
b)Not educational
c)Mildly deflating to those that enter
d)Lame

So, we need to get this show back on the road.

I am a member of over 5 photography/editing forums, and ALL of them have photography contests. Over the last few years, I see what works, and what doesn't, so if you will allow me to pitch you an idea, think about, and share your thoughts.

The following is the proposed new contest:

1)There will be 4 per year +1 (more later on the +1.) They will be seasonal, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter.
2)You can post any image you want.
3)The photos MUST be taken during the correct timeframe.
4)No entires are posted, they are ONLY PMed to me, in full size resolution.
5)I will host them privately on one of my online albums, and not allow anyone access to the images.
6)Once the contest is won, I will send the winner the correct file sized photo so they can re-host and keep it on the site, and will delete my entire cache of users' photos.
7)The winner MUST MAKE SURE that the photo is correctly hosted, and not removed from server, giving us a nice red x. This will result in your name as a winner being removed, and you will vanish into Spartan history.
8)The photo MUST NOT HAVE BEEN POSTED HERE before. New photos only.
9)The photos HAVE to have SOME element of a season. Baby photos, cars, flowers, Jack Daniels, whatever, doesn't matter, as long as you somehow incorporate something seasonal into the photo.

Now, the +1.....the +1 will be an ADDITIONAL contest running from Dec-1st through Dec. 31st. This is a contest for best photo of 2010, 11, etc. Same rules as above apply.
Rule #8 does NOT apply to the +1 competition.

Thoughts, comments, whatever, shout em out.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this mean I won?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Former Moderator

You did indeed.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:37 AM

Excellent.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:30 AM

Well done Ted H. Commiserations to the runners up.

I like the monthly competition so would be keen to see it return.

I like the suggested format - my only concern is that without a thread of posted entries it can drop off the radar. If there is an active thread building up it may inspire more entries - although I appreciate the other side of the argument about protecting ideas.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I respectfully disagree with the notion of the photo not being posted into a thread for all to see and judge on. It also should be stickied at the top. A private entry for me eliminates any desire to enter into a contest. speaking of judging I suggest each badged member of the photo forum be allowed one vote posted onto a public judging thread within 7 days of the end of the quarter. My other thought is Dave can you speak to Cthree for the possibility of a tangible prize being awarded to the quarterly winner. Prizes seem to have a real effect in motivating people to enter contest. My suggestion for said prize is a complimentary one year basic membership value $20 to the site to be applied at the expiration of one's current membership or for non members it being applied immediately upon announcement of winning the quarterly contest. Of course anyone can choose not to accept the prize if they still want to pay for there annual memberships.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by zzziippyyy,Jul 8 2010, 04:01 PM
I respectfully disagree with the notion of the photo not being posted into a thread for all to see and judge on. It also should be stickied at the top. A private entry for me eliminates any desire to enter into a contest. speaking of judging I suggest each badged member of the photo forum be allowed one vote posted onto a public judging thread within 7 days of the end of the quarter. My other thought is Dave can you speak to Cthree for the possibility of a tangible prize being awarded to the quarterly winner. Prizes seem to have a real effect in motivating people to enter contest. My suggestion for said prize is a complimentary one year basic membership value $20 to the site to be applied at the expiration of one's current membership or for non members it being applied immediately upon announcement of winning the quarterly contest. Of course anyone can choose not to accept the prize if they still want to pay for there annual memberships.
1) I have no problem having people post their own photos, instead of sending them to me. However, voting will be impossible, since everyone will vote for themselves (unless we make a rule that you can't vote for yourself and all votes are either made public or sent to me.)

2)Prizes can't have anything to do with S2ki. If we had a photography sponsor, we could negotiate with them for something like a 25% off coupon or a free filter, but the only people who can provide free stuff are sponsors. However, I could ask him about a free membership though, as that's something he may be able to provide.

Keep the ideas flowin' boys.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

:agree: on the cannot vote for yourself rule,my proposed voting method is public and posted in a voting thread which would be open for 7 days from the end of the quarter.

Maybe Norm could speak with his employer and see if they would offer up a coupon to the winner we do collectively plug his employer often in here
Old 07-09-2010, 02:35 AM
Former Moderator

It would be nice if Norm can hook that up, but I don't know if the Admins will allow someone sponsoring a contest on s2ki without actually sponsoring S2ki....

I will ask though.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:04 AM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts

I also disagree with private collection of entries until the end of the term.

I don't think people will vote for themselves (just to vote for themselves), and I don't think it needs to be enforced in any way. (Or at least worth a quarter or two to see what happens.)

Oddly, I don't see the trend in the Photog forum as different than the rest of S2KI I follow. DV is dead, Metro is dead... Whats there been for a meet so far this year - and its July already - a few hump days? Besides the tech day coming up, nothing is going on. You see that first hand.

The demographics on the site change yearly. The 'committment' from the long time owners seems to be dwindling, and the newer owners don't seem to have the same enthusiasm as the LT owners did when the car was new, special, whatever. Its just not the same site anymore, and its showing in most of the areas.