Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

What digital camera do you guys take pictures with?

Old 12-28-2002, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, beach scenes present the same type of issues. I find that a lot of the camera processed shots lack something, but like a lot of this stuff you're getting into really subjective issues.

It's the same as the car really, all the fancy equipment in the world won't make you a better driver or photographer
Old 12-28-2002, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd do the time-honoured thing and bracket like f*ck!
Old 12-28-2002, 09:59 AM
Administrator

hehe...good thing the G3 has a nice auto bracket mode
Old 12-28-2002, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by I ride shotgun
Hondaguy, thanx, but how is the indoor low light shooting capabilites?
I presume you mean the ability to give long exposure, and you're right, it's nice to have that capability, but you need to accept that low light shots is one of the areas where digital cameras still suck compared to film stock. They're getting better, but they all suffer to some degree from 'noise' which is a pitting in the shadows and darker areas of the shot. You can tackle it with Photoshop sometimes, but it can be tedious and often the shot can't be saved.
Old 12-28-2002, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by cdelena
I purchased and tried a few cameras over the holidays.

I think the bang for the buck was this Sony S85 for $407.

http://www.executivecameras.com/productdet...oductid=sonys85

I agree. The Carl Zeiss Lens is EXCELLENT on this model.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:49 AM

Here's mine, taken with G3

Old 12-30-2002, 01:12 PM

3 year old Sony Mavica FD-83 ($650 new). You can now get this camera on ebay for probably $150 or less.

Old 12-30-2002, 01:42 PM

Jason,

How many pixels is that camera? The reason I ask is you can just see slight aliasing around the chrome rings round the rear lights. Only the keener guys are going to spot it anyway, I just wonder what res you posted it at and if you could have posted at a higher resolution?

Sorry I mean the top picture!
Old 12-30-2002, 01:56 PM

I'm not sure. Here are the full specs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1947359577

I took the pics on 800x600 then resized them. The max res is 1216x912. Some of my friends get obseesed with having the highest max res, but this camera has always worked great for me. I also do mpeg videos with it, as it writes mpegs on the fly onto the floppy disk.

Another cool feature is, it lets you take pictures onto a floppy which can easily be put into any pc without software. Say you meet up with another S2000 owner. It has a COPY feature. After you take pics on the original floppy, you can store all the pics in memory before you take the disk out. It will then let you put in a blank floppy, and will write all the data/pics onto the new disk so you can give it to your friend, and you still have a copy on the original disk.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:09 PM

OK Max res seems to be only about 1.1 or1.2 mega pixels. The bad nooz is it's interpolated at that res, which isn't a good idea. Basically the camera takes the pics at a lower res and then works out where to put the additional pixels to make the pic bigger. It's inferior to straight optical sampling as is digital zoom inferior to optical zoom.

It's a low res camera by todays standards, but that said, it's more than acceptable for posting shots on the web. Low res cameras will have trouble with circles and diagonal lines sometimes get 'steppy' but it's such a fine niggle really. What I'm trying to say is that if you get results like that with so few pixels, you don't need a gazillion pixels if you're just going to view on screen or post on the web. As I said if you're doing big prints you need more pixels.

Quick Reply: What digital camera do you guys take pictures with?