Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Alberta drivers

Old 02-18-2005, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alberta drivers

Hi, I live in Edmonton and from reading posts on this site, it seems like you guys can be of help to me.

First of all, are there any problems with getting a used S2000?

Secondly, I haven't driven RWD much, so I don't know if I can handle it in the winter. I usually drive an AWD BMW 3-series, but even in the winter, when there's ice/snow, I take it at 30-45km/h. I'm very cautious in the winter, since I've smashed a car while sliding through a stop sign once.

And lastly, since it would be my only car, I will get a hard top for sure(I also think it looks better), so how much does a hardtop usually cost? What about a set of good winter tires? Anything else that I have to get?

Everyone's telling me a roadster's no good in the winter. I'm always hearing horror stories of light-weight roadsters slipping and sliding everywhere. My main concern is that the S2k body seems kind of low. Since some residential areas have inches of hardened snow, I wonder if I'll be able to get over them with the car. Despite these concerns, I'm seriously thinking about getting one since I've wanted to own one of these for a long time. Thank you for your time.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:38 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There is always potential problems when buying ANY used car, especially a sports car, so you have to do the proper inspections and title searches, etc, to be sure of what you are getting.
If you've driving an AWD BMW with all season radials in our winters, this is STILL a scary proposition. For a RWD car, snow tires are a MUST. I've outdragged AWD Audis across snow/ice covered intersections like they were sitting still. I have snow tires. The Audi had All seasons.
The low ground will always be a challenge. You just have to learn to drive on top of the ruts on side streets or just love with touching bottom.
There are many of us who daily drive and S2000 around here.
Here's a thread where we took vids of us playing in the snow:
http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=156779
Old 02-19-2005, 09:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 741' date='Feb 19 2005, 01:55 AM
Hi, I live in Edmonton and from reading posts on this site, it seems like you guys can be of help to me.

First of all, are there any problems with getting a used S2000?

Secondly, I haven't driven RWD much, so I don't know if I can handle it in the winter. I usually drive an AWD BMW 3-series, but even in the winter, when there's ice/snow, I take it at 30-45km/h. I'm very cautious in the winter, since I've smashed a car while sliding through a stop sign once.

And lastly, since it would be my only car, I will get a hard top for sure(I also think it looks better), so how much does a hardtop usually cost? What about a set of good winter tires? Anything else that I have to get?

Everyone's telling me a roadster's no good in the winter. I'm always hearing horror stories of light-weight roadsters slipping and sliding everywhere. My main concern is that the S2k body seems kind of low. Since some residential areas have inches of hardened snow, I wonder if I'll be able to get over them with the car. Despite these concerns, I'm seriously thinking about getting one since I've wanted to own one of these for a long time. Thank you for your time.
Hardtop is about $5000 through Honda Canada if not mistaken. Hardtopguy.com may have better pricing. The Hardtop is expensive but of very high quality. There are a numerous PR members who can give you recommendations (and prices) on winter tires as they use their S daily. There are always used S2000's available for sale in various price ranges. Price is dictated by year, condition and mileage like any other used vehicle. Good luck and be careful, 9000 RPM's is highly addictive.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i drive mine in the winter... had one mishap.... but thats when the roads were like ice rinks... there were hundred of reports all over the city,other then that week i never have had troubles driving my car in winter....
but just drive slow and have winter tires u will be ok....
Old 02-19-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Daily drive mine, it's quite fine in the winter. My previous S2000 was an '01, and I went through a full winter without a hardtop. It was just fine. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that it had the plastic rear window, so cleaning that off was a bit of a pain in the ass.

Other than that, get some good snow tires, and you're set. The car is so comfortable in winter, with its small engine and small cabin, you get a pretty toasty interior in no time.

Best winter car I've ever owned. The only downside of course is the ground clearance... but even in Red Deer I'm managing.