Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Anyone here able to remove a sheared bolt?

Old 04-10-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here able to remove a sheared bolt?

anyone local with the tools/skills to help me remove a sheared bolt?

see here:

Stripped bolt....
Old 04-10-2009, 08:01 PM

Hmmm...I doubt you could weld something on there to twist it off...and at any rate, it could get messy with all that heat near the manifold on such a small bolt.

If you can't get vice grips on there, you'll have to drill into the bolt, then get an extractor into the hole, then twist it out. Can be a pain. I had a look under my hood just now, looks like all that ABS junk is in the way of getting a drill nice and square onto that bolt. But, looks like too that you can just unbolt the ABS stuff and hopefully move it out of the way.

You might also try hammering a tap or a punch directly into the head of the bolt, and using that to twist the bolt out, but I'd be careful about that - you definitely should drill at least a bit into the bolt before trying this.

Oh yeah...there are some 90* drills out there too, that could help given the tight confines, but the ones I've seen are usually air driven.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:46 PM

some guys in the thread now gave some reccomendations...some things i might try

dremel a slit in the top and wrench it out with a ratchet+flathead bit being very careful of course.

and my longshot idea - get some "cold weld" glue or something to try and stick something together onto it and twist it off that way. long shot i know but im so choked about this hopefully i can find an easy way out, would be nice for once
Old 04-11-2009, 07:17 AM

A couple of things I have learnd the hard way:

WD40 is NOT penetrating oil -- go buy some propoer penetrating oil. It will work much better.

If you decide to try an ez-out or other extractor, be extremely careful. If you break one of those off in the bolt, you are in for a world of hurt. This guy describes the process fairly well: http://www.dimebank.com/tech/BrokenBolt.html
Old 04-11-2009, 09:44 AM

see if u can put a punch on it and tap it out....

if the bolt doesn't have enough "meat" for vise grips to bite, then u will have to mostly likely drill it out, make sure the broken bolt surface is flat, center punch the center, and drill it out......don't rush it, go slow, slower the drill bit is turning, better it's drilling.......start from a small bit, and one size up at a time......

if u ever decide to use easy out or similar stuff, make sure u don't break that in the broken bolt.......that stuff is so hard.....98% of the drill bit out there that u can buy will NOT drill into easy out.......
Old 04-11-2009, 09:52 AM

i tried some needle nose vise grips but i had no luck with those....theres still about 1cm or so of bolt sticking out, maybe enough to get some better vise grips on, but im unsure as to which ones to buy etc etc that might give me the best advantage? i was probably using some cheapo ones that just slid around
Old 04-11-2009, 05:22 PM

ok guys, i can breathe again. dad had a welder friend available, tacked on another bolt head and twisted that sucker out. i was about to have a panic attack