Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Brakes squealing

Old 10-05-2004, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes squealing

My '01 never did this, but my '04 for the past week or so has a some-what faint (sometimes louder, depending on the temperature) squeal when I apply the brakes.

It's extremely annoying! Anything particular I could try to remedy this, other than having my pads checked out and resurfacing my rotors?
Old 10-05-2004, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry about the brakes because when you install your newly arrived roof you will no longer hear them anymore. By the way let me know a date to get this installed..
Old 10-05-2004, 09:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You may need to remove the pads and put more anti-squeal compound on them or a new anti-squeal shim.
You might have also picked up some grit that is now imbedded in the pads. If this is the case, it is unlikely that you will get this out and in time, will score your rotors. Can you see the beginnings of a score mark?
Old 10-06-2004, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Calgarian,Oct 5 2004, 07:46 PM
Don't worry about the brakes because when you install your newly arrived roof you will no longer hear them anymore. By the way let me know a date to get this installed..
I still may have you guys take a look at my brakes when the car is there, and I do need an alignment, heheh.

I tried to PM you but your box is full, so I left you a message at work with my cell number, please give me a call when you get a chance so we can arrange getting my car down there!

Thanks Ian
Old 10-06-2004, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Oct 5 2004, 10:56 PM
You may need to remove the pads and put more anti-squeal compound on them or a new anti-squeal shim.
You might have also picked up some grit that is now imbedded in the pads. If this is the case, it is unlikely that you will get this out and in time, will score your rotors. Can you see the beginnings of a score mark?
Now that I actually have a day off I think I'm actually going to get in there and take a good look at whatever I can visually... see what I can find
Old 10-06-2004, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by koala,Oct 6 2004, 02:10 PM
Now that I actually have a day off I think I'm actually going to get in there and take a good look at whatever I can visually... see what I can find
This squealing is a problem I know of ALL TOO WELL! It only happens when I slow down slowly but that all started when I switched my pads from stocks to Hawk HP plus which are known to squel but had I known it would be this bad, I would never have purchased them!

Anyhow, aside from anti-squel you can also try shaving the corners of your pads as recommended by Gary (VTR_Gary) but speak to him for further details on that.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-06-2004, 06:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by koala,Oct 6 2004, 03:09 PM
I tried to PM you but your box is full
Ian is a "guest" and doesn't have a PM feature. In such cases, it just tells you it's "full".
Old 10-06-2004, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Oct 6 2004, 07:13 PM
Ian is a "guest" and doesn't have a PM feature. In such cases, it just tells you it's "full".
Oh really? I didn't realize guests don't have the luxury of the PM feature.

Tis okay anyway, got ahold of him... coming down to calgary on Wednesday to get my hardtop installed/alignment, I can't wait!
Old 10-06-2004, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by S2000_rider,Oct 6 2004, 02:37 PM
This squealing is a problem I know of ALL TOO WELL! It only happens when I slow down slowly but that all started when I switched my pads from stocks to Hawk HP plus which are known to squel but had I known it would be this bad, I would never have purchased them!

Anyhow, aside from anti-squel you can also try shaving the corners of your pads as recommended by Gary (VTR_Gary) but speak to him for further details on that.

Hope this helps!
Well, I took a good look at them but I don't see any scoring or anything on the rotors to indicate any debris is lodged in there, but it's just too hard to say for sure, especially with my limited knowledge of braking systems

Just going to live with it for now, maybe take a closer look when I'm swapping to my winter wheels
Old 10-06-2004, 07:24 PM

Yep, chamfering the pads usually helps. Take the pads out and using a file, just knock about 1mm off their edges. Any 90 degree edge of pad, make into two 45 degree angles. Let me know how it works for you!

Quick Reply: Brakes squealing