Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

OBD II scanner on sale

Old 09-09-2004, 08:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default OBD II scanner on sale

Got mine today from Crappy Tire. Regular price: $250.00. Now on sale for $150.00. Good for any car with the OBD II diagnostic system.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/pro...D=1094791715620
Old 09-09-2004, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! Might have to pick this thing up. Thanks Dave

edit - just talked to my old roommate from calgary (does car security for a living)... he seems to think you may not find this tool all too useful. he was saying basically a good scan tool was in the $3,000 area, and it was around $500 per cartridge for different brands of cars... he figured a scan tool like the one from canadian tire was probably suited more towards fords or GM's.

If it works well on the S2000, let me know!
Old 09-09-2004, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by koala,Sep 9 2004, 11:03 PM
If it works well on the S2000, let me know!
I don't have a CEL so I can't confirm this either way, but this scanner says it will do Hondas. It's my understanding that OBD II on any car is universal. If the car has it, then the scanner will pull the codes as that was the whole reason behind mandating OBD II - to make diagnostics the same on all cars sold in N. America after a designated date. I thought you only had to buy these cartridges (packs) if it was OBD I. If you talk to your friend, can you get him double check?
My buddy at work pulled the codes out of a Nissan truck a few weeks ago with the same scanner. Maybe I'll just throw it on the car tomorrow and see what it says even though I may not have any codes stored.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, if you want to try it out, do you want to try it on mine?

I'm getting a "Maintenance Required" light coming on when I start the car.....for perhaps 15 seconds??? I've seen it flicker on at least one time while driving very briefly....perhaps 2 seconds or so. Anyone else have something like this happen?

'03 bought in June.....now has just over 10,000 km......just an oil/filter change done thus far. Otherwise the car seems to be running fine.

I don't know if something has been triggered on the OBDII but it would be interesting to find out......also help me make a decision to buy one of them....

Reijo
Old 09-10-2004, 08:17 AM

[QUOTE=Reijo,Sep 10 2004, 07:04 AM] Hey, if you want to try it out, do you want to try it on mine?

I'm getting a "Maintenance Required" light coming on when I start the car.....for perhaps 15 seconds???
Old 09-10-2004, 09:35 AM

OK, I just purposely threw a CEL. I disconnected the VTEC solenoid wiring harness and started up the car. Within seconds the CEL came on. I plugged in the scanner and YUP, it gave me the code: P1259 (VTEC system malfunction). On top of this, the scanner also cancelled the code (with the push of a button), so no more pulling the fuse to clear the CEL.

On a side note: I also tried to throw a CEL by driving around with the gas cap really loose. After about 13 klicks, the light never came on. I think it takes a significant drop in fuel level in the tank for the EVAP sensor to detect a lack of vacuum due to a loose gas cap.

As I indicated earlier, OBD II is the same OBD II on all cars that have it. That was the whole idea for its inception.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah yes, I forgot that those cartridges were indeed for OBD I. Thanks for clearing that up Dave
Old 09-11-2004, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 10 2004, 10:35 AM
On a side note: I also tried to throw a CEL by driving around with the gas cap really loose. After about 13 klicks, the light never came on. I think it takes a significant drop in fuel level in the tank for the EVAP sensor to detect a lack of vacuum due to a loose gas cap.
Don't worry Dave, the evap system requires a 2 trip problem. So the low FTP has to be there for 2 trips in a row or the system won't flick the light on and the evap tests it does do take a little time to complete.

It actually pulls a little bit of engine vacuum in the fuel tank/evap system and looks for how well the system is sealed. Any tiny leak the first time will set a temporary code in the ECU but no CEL. The second time it detects it will be a CEL-worthy problem.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:13 PM

Gary, I'm glad I didn't drive around till the light came on.
I may have run out of gas before it did.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:09 PM

I attempted to order this from the sight given by xviper ...

Not only is it out of stock but the offer is only good for shipping within Canada.

Sounded like a good deal ...

Quick Reply: OBD II scanner on sale