Prairie Redliners Canadian Prairie Provinces. Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba

Vortech S/C install - a running documentary.

Old 02-02-2004, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Viper,

This happens when I "rag" out the engine. But when I let the car sit in the garage for a few weeks, things are normal again. But once I start raggin on my engine again, the symptoms starts again. The A/C does not cause affect it, not that I have notice before.

As for the "near death" experience you have described, thats exactly what I experienced. But the only problem to that...I don't think that the car "learned" anything from the experience. When my car starts to have those near death experience, the fuel gage pressure bounces up and down at 50-53 psi on the gage.

Also when I drive, I try to accelerate so that I shift into the next gear. I don't feel the "boost" that I would normally feel. And that's when I know that I have a problem when I come to a complete stop, my car will go into that near death problem. And on some occassions the car have died completely. So when that happens, I have to shift into 1st gear and start the engine. Right when my engine starts, I have to apply lots of gas for it to take off. If i dont, it feels like my car is choking and will start to die. So do you think this may all be the cause of a bad FMU?

Speaking of MAP sensor, is that upgradable/replacable to fix the problem? Well, I just want to say thanks for the info. You have by far given me more info than the place that installed the S/C. Sorry, about the aem intake...there is none.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cvan1976 So do you think this may all be the cause of a bad FMU?
Old 02-02-2004, 10:42 PM

Thanks for everything viper!! I'll tell you the problem once I get it fixed some how.

The FMU should be in this week. Hopefully, I can find some time to drive the car down there without having my engine dying on me. =)
Old 02-22-2004, 04:55 PM

Viper, I just finished the vortech install and my car doesn't start. the car cranks, but just won't fire, I'm pretty sure it has to do with the wiring, do you think I wired it wrong or is it a bad vortech timing box? Any info would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 02-22-2004, 05:28 PM

ap1s2000, it is possible that the black box that Vortech supplied is bad, however, I thought that this problem had been dealt with a long time ago. I do recall a post from today or yesterday, someone sending their box back, getting new one and the car performs well. Before, the car did not run properly.
I suggest before sending the computer box back, that you carefully go over the wiring schematic to have a clear idea of where each connection goes, then go under the dash and confirm not only the correct splices were done but also that each connection is SOLID. A lot of wires were cut when your Vortech box went in. Just one bad/loose connection and the whole thing is bad.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:54 PM

alright viper I'll do that. Thanks a lot
Old 04-15-2004, 10:14 AM

ap1s2000,
I am having the same problem after my Comptech S/C installation...
Right after finishing the install, I took the car for a drive and it ran, but it ran poorly. The next morning I rewired the Comptech ESM unit at the ECU because I figured I was expereincing a MAP sensor problem. After rewiring at the ECU, the engine cranks but just won't turnover.

Did you ever resolve your problem? The car is scheduled to be towed to the shop tomorrow; any input ASAP would be appreciated...
Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-18-2004, 07:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AgroBob
ap1s2000,
I am having the same problem after my Comptech S/C installation...
Right after finishing the install, I took the car for a drive and it ran, but it ran poorly. The next morning I rewired the Comptech ESM unit at the ECU because I figured I was expereincing a MAP sensor problem. After rewiring at the ECU, the engine cranks but just won't turnover.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:54 AM

xviper,
Thanks for the reply - I rewired the connections several times (even soldering them at one point) but the engine still would not turnover completely. At this point I have to wonder if the ECU is still stable so I took the car to the local Honda shop for scanning, etc. Hopefully they can figure out the problem and it won't be too severe.

There are only 3 wires affected by the comptech s/c install, so I'm somewhat surprised the engine won't start (even if the connections are bad):

Connector C:
pin 7 - map V- (splice into from ESM)
pin 17 - map signal (cut and connect to 2 ESM wires)
pin 19 - map V+ (splice into from ESM)

Also, after rewiring several times, there's not a lot of wire left to work with at the connector - I hope the shop can attach some extra wire so I'm not looking at the cost of a new harness installation.

Still haven't been able to drive with the s/c - hope this is all worth it...
Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-19-2004, 11:36 AM

Bob, there has been mention that it is quite easy to confuse the "ACC" wire with the "A/C" wire. Play with your air conditioning button and see what happens. If you get it to work with it in one position (on or off), you have your answer. This little quirk has only been reported for the Comptech.

Quick Reply: Vortech S/C install - a running documentary.