Puerto Rico S2000 Owners Puerto Rico S2000 Owners

Moving to San Juan

Old 06-05-2012, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my official move date will be August 18th.

@SPOON S2K
Awesome, do you have a wakeboard or am I going to have to buy one?

@EriS2K
No big deal. If you all have any recommendations on apartments in the area, let me know! I'm not finding much. My budget is $900/mo max.

@S2KIPR
So I've heard. If I import it, it will have a black Mugen replica.

I'm not too worried about crime. I live in Memphis, TN... Typically on the top of the charts for violent crimes. After a few weeks of driving you can pretty much figure out what areas to avoid.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:12 AM

In the meantime... I've read various posts about importing and in some cases excise taxes (arbitrios) exceed the cost of the car. Can anyone verify how much it'll cost to import a 2002 Honda S2000? I haven't the slightest clue on where to begin or who to call. I've heard the whole process is a complete pain in the ass. I've also heard that roads there are terrible. Would I be better off selling it and getting a Jeep when I get there? Gah, this is overwhelming/frustrating.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by enpe
In the meantime... I've read various posts about importing and in some cases excise taxes (arbitrios) exceed the cost of the car. Can anyone verify how much it'll cost to import a 2002 Honda S2000? I haven't the slightest clue on where to begin or who to call. I've heard the whole process is a complete pain in the ass. I've also heard that roads there are terrible. Would I be better off selling it and getting a Jeep when I get there? Gah, this is overwhelming/frustrating.
As far as the s goes you'll be fine you don't need a jeep. Unless it's a flood of course but i use mine as a daily and i have no problems. I know there is a site that tells you the taxes on bringing the car but i don't remember it right now would have to look it up. Also i bet that if you get in contact with one of the carriers they could probably help you out or atleast point you in the right direction.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:22 AM

I paid 5k for my 2007 i guess you should pay something around 2.5k.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:21 PM

ENPE
I DONT HAVE ONE BUT I CAN SEARCH FOR ONE I THINK MY FRIENDS HAVE ONE SEARCH AND TELL U
Old 06-05-2012, 06:41 PM

Hi,

As far as the roads, it really depends on how picky you are. The roads are bad compared to most U.S. State standards. The more inland you get and away from the main roads, the worse they are. A lot has to do with your driving preferences and what you mainly do with your vehicle. Another things is parking. Expect a ding or two on your doors if you don't feel like parking away and in the back of the parking lots. Lastly, expect to wash your car a lot more than average. It rains a lot there during certain parts of the year and salt is in the air especially if your living/working near the coast or go to the beach a lot. If your very picky and meticulous about your car then you have to worry. If your not really going to flip out over a ding from the parking lot or a scratch from a rock flying in the road then your ok.

One more thing, I like to speed, and I like to speed a lot. Here in Cali and when I lived in TX and FL, there was a lot of road for me to speed in and for a long time. In PR, you won't get that, so spirited driving is limited. If you like a lot of twisties in the mountains, like i do here in the Cali mountains, you will find a lot of that in PR however the roads are narrow and you risk hitting a rock or pot hole. Best bet is just taking it to the track for real fun or just cruise in top down weather jumping from kiosko to kiosko along the beaches.

All that said, If I was in your shoes, I would definitely take my S but I would take EXTRA care in keeping it in the condition it is in. Thats what island life is about. If you wanna keep your car looking good, you gotta take extra care of it than what you normally would. Most Americans just buy a beater upper cause they not used to it. Having a nice car is a chore...but well worth it in PR.

v/r
Javier

Old 06-10-2012, 07:46 AM

I'm here. Finding an apartment is going to be a pain in the ass... Haha
Old 06-10-2012, 11:48 AM

Nice. There will be a meet next weekend. It'll be cool if you could make it so that you can meet some of the people from our group.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:49 AM

I'll start working on the airport soon too. Im waiting for my Port Authority ID.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by S2KIPR
Nice. There will be a meet next weekend. It'll be cool if you could make it so that you can meet some of the people from our group.
The meet is not next weekend is the week after that jeje. Sunday the 24th we're gathering in Plaza las Americas (I think) to go and eat at Guavate.

Quick Reply: Moving to San Juan