Rocky Mountain S2000 Owners Rocky Mountain Owners Club including Colorado

Mods For The High Country

Old 02-03-2003, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From our touring rides, a few issues with me/my car have become noticeable and I am interested in recommendations.

First, I can feel the oversteer now and I think that contributed to my drift during our recent ride. Would the X-brace be the first mod folks would recommend to quiet that down?

Second, I slide laterally about in the seat more than I'd like. Song had a nice set up with the Ricaro and harness but those seats are out of reach for me at the moment. Move the seat up tighter? Get a harness with the stock seats? I find myself using the dead pedal to push myself back into the seat back during high G maneuvers but I'd like to find a better solution. Suggestions?

Third, at high altitude (anyone else notice VTEC adjusted itself to almost 7000 up there), should one adjust tire pressure knowing we're going into the high country? If so, what would be a ballpark flatlander pressure setting?

Fourth, would lowering the car significantly improve handling or is it mostly for the *look*?

Fifth, since I'm pretty much the only person ever in my car, would removing the passenger side seat affect the car's balance? I'd like to get a little more storage space and maybe a little weight savings. The only downside would be track days where I might want to have Paul with me for some coaching and evaluation.

Lastly, I'm thinking I want to upgrade the brakes. Mine seemed a little spongey on Saturday. Is bleeding/pad replacement a simple procedure? Will upgraded pads tighten things up or is that a halfway measure and should I be looking at upgraded rotors/calipers?

Thanks for any advice and recs.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:53 AM
pfb

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bash
[B]From our touring rides, a few issues with me/my car have become noticeable and I am interested in recommendations.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by bash
First, I can feel the oversteer now and I think that contributed to my drift during our recent ride. Would the X-brace be the first mod folks would recommend to quiet that down?
Don't forget how sensitive the SO2s are to the cold. I don't know where you were when you lost traction, but with 7000 miles and cool temps (65ish) my rear was like ice. Much fun.

Fifth, since I'm pretty much the only person ever in my car, would removing the passenger side seat affect the car's balance? [/B]
That is rather pessimistic. Where will all the honeys sit?
Old 02-04-2003, 11:26 PM

Paul maybe we need to get another brake fluid flush day again.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:04 AM

yeah Im going to have to change my fluid since my car will need better stopping power.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:33 AM

I'm down for a brake day. I missed the last one. Anyone have a preference for a source for ATE Blue fluid and Panther pads?
Old 02-05-2003, 07:17 AM
pfb

Ate fluid is available at Imported Auto Parts on Pine St. in Boulder, ~$10. Also available on-line at many sources, best price seems to be $9.95. try http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...+super+blue+%24

Panther pads are available from some sponsors, and for the same price directly from carbotech. (www.carbotecheng.com). For mostly street use, the Porterfield R4S might be a better choice. Again available from sponsors or http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/

I'm up for a brake tech session. Might be better to do it someplace other than my house, as I'm likely snowed in for a while, even when town melts! I also want to change my diff fluid and transmission fluid, if anybody wants help with that.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:54 AM

I was also going to change my diff and tranny fluid. Can't be that hard. I want to get in the habit of changing it every 10000 miles or so. Damn i am almost at 20,000.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kwando
[B]I was also going to change my diff and tranny fluid.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:01 AM

If everyone is in for brake, tranny and diff fluid, maybe we should buy in bulk to save us all the shipping cost.

Quick Reply: Mods For The High Country