Rocky Mountain S2000 Owners Rocky Mountain Owners Club including Colorado

RE: Sept 8th drive What was your highlight/worst moment?

Old 09-09-2002, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sept 8th drive What was your highlight/worst moment?

I'll start.

We were on 285 coming down to Shaffers Crossing. At the bottom of the hill where it goes into 4 lanes I moved into the left lane. I start going up the hill and this cavalier (who I guess thought she had a VTEC) decides she wants in MY lane right as I'm passing her! No blinker or anything - she just starts coming over! I lay on the horn, brake and had to swerve into the center of median. She looks at me like I was at fault She swerves back into her lane and got stuck in traffic - thank goodness. Way to close! I clearly had the lane. I think she wanted to "play" with us all or block us in, but I just wanted her away from me. I ask my passenger his opinion and he agreed I was not at fault.
Old 09-09-2002, 09:19 AM
Luc

I saw it all from a few hundred feet back. She clearly didn't look before she started to change lanes.

I just shook my head, but let out a huge sigh of relief when nothing came of it. It would have been awful.

On the other hand, being approached by a sheriff in Buena Vista was rather interesting (after we caught up with Laurie and Pat at a fuel station there). For some reason he thought jimstyle was the S2K ring leader :-) jimstyle must have been wondering "why me"? Oh well, we do believe in the "initiation by fire" for new drivers don't we?
Old 09-09-2002, 10:28 AM

Ya, I was a bit disappointed (but not surprised) but the passive aggressive natures of some of the non-S2K drivers coming home down 285. Seemed like even though it was obvious we were all together some folks either wouldn't let us pass easily or intentionally tried to hang us up. The twit in the white carpeting van comes to mind. Since getting my S2K I have really gained an appreciation for drivers that *get it* and will courteously help you pass to keep together and know when to get out of the way. I gave a few of those guys a wave of appreciation for the help.

Next ride I'd like to propose something closer to home that completely stays off main highways. We may not get to any landmarks or travel too quickly but we should be able to find some canyon-to-canyon routes that will really give our shifters a workout and avoid the slowmovers. I'd offer my little hole in the ground in Littleton as a end-of-ride BBQ location for those wishing to kick back, review the ride and enjoy some frosty beverages.

>Best moment: Seeing the rainbow at the bottom of 285 after a fun day with good folks.
>Worst moment: Well, obviously, my shameful littering ticket that hung me up for so long just as we started out and almost made me turn back since I had doubts I would be able to catch back up with the pack. A lone S2K on I-70 sucked.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:29 AM

My worst moment was on I-70 ticking about 106 we found some new pavement, nice and oily, where all four wheels began to drift. Since there was someone directly in front of me we could not accelerate, so we had to ride the storm. Now mind you it only lasted a second but Oooodoggy it was scary but still exhilarating.

Best moment was when Paul and I were tearing up the Loveland Pass and my wife kept saying "Your really close to the edge....oh yeah your really close to the edge...." It was just a shear drop off, how could I see I was looking at the twisties.

Super fun drive......Thanks Luc
Old 09-09-2002, 12:33 PM

The weirdest thing is when I was cruising 285 at a good clip I kept smelling a cigar - and I was not smoking one. , but there was another S2000 in fron of me

The highlight for me was our lunch at the lake and getting to know everyone.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:59 PM

Red-S2k-00....That was my cigar, and a tasty on too. Next time I will bring some extras. That was a fun drive back.

The best part was the whole freaking day. Awesome.
The worst part having to go home.
Old 09-09-2002, 01:07 PM

Worst moment - holding my tongue with the Chaffee County Sheriff's Sergeant in Buena Vista by not mentioning the unsafe driving of one or two pickup trucks (a Ford F250 w/camper comes to mind) on the highway into B.V.

Best Moment(s) - beating out the speeding tickets from the Chaffee County Sheriff's Dept. & leaving the nuisance Audi behind on 285.

NOTE: I have a friend in the prof. embroidery business and I am going to check into some quality hats with the "S2000" logo on them. Our club & S2ki marketplace does not currently offer these items. Is there enough interest in getting these hats made, or are they available from our Honda dealers?
Old 09-09-2002, 01:11 PM

Mark,

Cuban I hope I knew it was you - just did not want to incriminate you if your significant other reads these threads
Old 09-09-2002, 01:18 PM

I did not see the Audi. What were they doing?
Old 09-09-2002, 01:24 PM

Jim, are you talking about that dark A4 that thought he was in our motorcade? I noticed him too. I wasn't sure if he was being *friendly* or a pain in the ass but I could see him just a car length off our tail starting about the Conifer area until I broke off onto 470.

Quick Reply: RE: Sept 8th drive What was your highlight/worst moment?