Rocky Mountain S2000 Owners Rocky Mountain Owners Club including Colorado

wtb S2000

Old 06-18-2002, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wtb S2000

I'v been chomping at the bit to get an S2000 and finally got my finances set just before I went on vacation 2weeks ago. I got a shock when I got back. There must have been a feeding frenzy since then and all the good deals are gone. If any one is looking to sell I'm looking to buy.
Old 06-18-2002, 06:10 PM
pfb

John Elway had a new '02 Sebring Silver/Black last week. Call the sales manager directly and offer MSRP ($3,270, including dealer handling), and I bet you'd get it...
Old 06-19-2002, 06:34 AM

Has anyone here bought their S2000 out of state and then registered in Colorado? What are the requirements? Are there additional registration fees? How do the taxes work? Thanks!!
Old 06-19-2002, 10:51 AM

Has anyone here bought their S2000 out of state and then registered in Colorado? What are the requirements? Are there additional registration fees? How do the taxes work? Thanks!!
I have not made such a transaction, but I do know that there will be an issue with sales taxes on the purchase. The law requires the taxes are paid to the taxing authority where you reside. If the dealer does not have Nexus (a term meaning in this case a license to collect tax) in the city, county and state where you live, then you become responsible for the taxes and have to pay tem directly. This event usually occurs when you try to license the vehicle.

In some cases, the dealership will calculate the taxes and collect the money from you, say in the form of your loan check if you are financing the car. The dealer will then turn around and issue a cashiers check(s) to you for the taxes. The check(s) should be issued to the taxing authority(ies). However, this should not be expected since it is usually done to pay city or county taxes when you purchase the vehicle in your own state but not in your own city/county jurisdiction. The dealer might do this as a service, not an obligation. The dealer is obligated to report the purchase. You will pay tax, no free ride.

Best Advice:

Check what the rate is with the county and city you reside and be prepared to have the cash set aside to pay the taxing authorities when you go to get your license plates. Be sure to mention this is a vehicle purchase when inquiring; since sales tax rates for vehicles are usually different from those for other consumer goods. The state rate in Colorado is 2.9% most consumer goods. I believe this is the same for vehicles.
Old 06-19-2002, 03:28 PM

I've bought a truck in Wyoming and had to pay taxes when I bought plates. If the deal is good enough it's well worth it.(just make sure that you have the money when you buy plates)
I've been putting out the word on a new S2000 out of state. If it works out I'll post it. I might be able to get one for 2000 under msrp.
Old 06-19-2002, 04:36 PM
pfb

I have bought multiple cars out of state (including my S2000), and both driven them home and had them transported on car carriers.

There is no penalty. The selling dealer will not collect taxes, and should provide a temporary tag from the selling dealerships home state if you are driving the car out of the dealership. When you register it in your home state, you will need to show the bill of sale or purchase contract, and they will collect tax at that time, based on your city/county/state of residence.

Very simple, virtually any dealer should know how to handle this, and Motor Vehicles handles this kind of transaction all the time.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:15 PM

I know where there are 2 count'em 2 s2k's one blue and the other yellow for sale at msrp... let me know if you need more info
Old 06-20-2002, 05:30 PM

Thank for the info, and keep it coming. So far I've made some out of state contacts that could be quite a bit below msrp. I hope to have a deal by this weekend. If there are any dealers I should stay away from could you let me know. Thanks
Old 06-21-2002, 12:42 PM

I was just at Fisher Honda in Boulder getting my oil changed, and they said there is nobody in line and that they would order one for me (I'm trying to get my dad to get one) at MSRP.
Old 06-21-2002, 12:50 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kweyer
[B]Has anyone here bought their S2000 out of state and then registered in Colorado?

Quick Reply: wtb S2000