S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Damage assessment

Old 09-02-2010, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^

Thanks man, but I'm oz with shipping, currency conversion and duty tax it'll probably still work out about the same.

I've also had a couple of assessments done since my last post, and it looks like I'm going to be able to resurrect her. Still have to get her up on the jig, but the guys who looked at it said there was virtually no chassis damage. Except maybe slight (1-3mm) movement in the bracket that holds the lower wishbone.

I'm going to open a new post in the suspension section, I need to know what parts I'm going to need to get the car rolling again.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:30 PM

Oops. I missed you weren't living in the states. Good luck on the rebuild!
Old 09-03-2010, 11:59 AM

buying the whole rear was a good idea you will need a lot of the internal parts from it, from the pictures yours looked kinked,and your outer wheel well will need to be replace which you will have with your used rear. first things first get the suspension and rear craddle and all that stuff, a whole assemble would be easiest im sure. get that in and make her roll. and then take your parts to a shop and let them have at her. it deffinetly needs some frame time. keep us updated!
Old 09-09-2010, 10:14 PM

Hey don't know if anyone's still paying attention, but how do you remove the upper and lower control arm's from the hub?

I pulled the little pin out and unscrewed the nut, and nothing. I thought it would just come off.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ape-x,Sep 10 2010, 01:14 AM
Hey don't know if anyone's still paying attention, but how do you remove the upper and lower control arm's from the hub?

I pulled the little pin out and unscrewed the nut, and nothing. I thought it would just come off.
You have to pop the ball joints out...
Old 09-12-2010, 01:08 AM

What just give them a whack with a hammer?
Old 09-24-2010, 08:18 PM

Ok so I spent a good chunk of yesterday pulling my suspension, axle and hub apart.
Having now idea what I was doing. But that's how you learn, by doing.

I was surprised that there didn't seem to be as much damage as first thought.
Maybe some one can tell me different.

Once again I apologize for my terminology (corrections welcome).

This is the axle boot that connects to the diff, the axle head and bearings.

The boot is scuffed at the top, Is it supposed to be tapered like that?

There are some small scuffs at the top of the axle head, but none on the parts that the bearings sit on.

Bearings apart from being pulled off the axle, seem a1.

The question I'm really asking is, what needs to be replaced?

Part 2 concerns the hub, and how the hell you get the nut off? the honda guys I spoke to just said "it's really tight, try harder". I wish I knew this before, now I have to reattach the axle to the diff.

This nut, and do I have to straighten out the dent in it? I know its supposed to be there. And what of the screws? There very tight as well.

The knuckle that attaches to the lower wishbone is the only thing I know for sure is no good. Which is why I'm so keen to remove the hub

BTW I went back to the crash site yesterday and found this.

Yes that is the other half of the knuckle, pealed like a banana.

Lastly is there any way I can find out what parts of my suspension is OK, wishbones, shocks, springs, sway bar, toe control arm. Are there measurements I can take to compare against good parts?

Thanks guys.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do comparative measurements regarding suspension and such to see if they are ok.

Also, the take out the dent and nut should be able to come off if you use a breaker bar.

If this was my car, I would just replace whatever questionable part....but thats just to save possible headaches.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:20 AM

Replacement is the final plan, but I'm just trying to get her rolling for the moment. So I can get to the body shop

As for the nut, my honda dealer said the same thing. I wish I knew that before, now I have to re-attach the axle to the diff.