S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

ebay oem rear spoiler

Old 01-13-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2k007
Ordered one a few days ago.

As far as install, are you guys just eyeballing it? Any tips on how to get it perfectly centered?
There is all the info I think you will need on page 3 of this post.....mine is #61 and it shows how I aligned it up using painter's tape.....came out perfect and if you need some more info just post it to me....
Old 01-13-2012, 05:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Thanks I saw the photos. Any other info would be appreciated as I'm horrible as these things and tend to align them a little off.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:59 AM

It's really a piece of cake, I had never done something like this before and just took my time.....lay the spoiler up on rear deck and align it equally on both sides and as far as how far back I just used the roll in the deck as reference and aligned it with the curve going down the back trunk, mounted just above the curve.....then after it's aligned used the tape as reference points....I peeled back about 2 inches of the 3m tape ( the long ones on top and bottom ) and taped the peel part to the outer spoiler so once it's in place you can just peel it all the way across. The shorter pieces I peeled all the way off and then started form one side, I did not put any pressure on the spoiler until I was satisfied it was in place and then pressed it down once 3m backing was removed.... best to do it in warm place above 70 temp as tape will adhere better. I used isopropyl ( rubbing alcohol ) where tape will stick on deck to clean and remove any wax and dirt build up and then applied the 3m enhancer that should have come with spoiler....one more thing, use single edge razor blade to start the peeling of 3m backing by snapping the corner edge several times and it pops up....
Hope this helps with your install and post some pictures...
It's a great add on for the S
Old 01-14-2012, 10:45 AM

I didn't slide the spoiler as far as it will go because there is a certain curvature to the spoiler that matches the curvature of the trunk at the right mounting spot. That spot was NOT all the way back and not too much forward. The perfect spot will leave you with a 1-1.5mm edge of the trunk (yes, I took measurements)on either side of the spoiler and a slight gap between the spoiler and the third brake light. I was not able to measure this gap, but I would guess about 3-5mm at the closest point (center).

Just "feel" it for fitment, checking to make sure the curvatures fit and the spoiler sits naturally flush on the trunk, and eyeball to make sure that both sides are equal. In the ideal spot, the spoiler will not be well-balanced just sitting on the trunk and will shift so it may help to have an extra set of helping hands as you are taping and making measurements. I honestly think it's not possible to get a perfect 10.00000/10.00000 fit by using only the tape and not having the guide of the bolts, but I'd rather not drill my trunk. Besides, no one will even notice that one side is off by 0.5mm.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:35 PM

^ Alright, thanks a lot guys. I should get by next week I think.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you're afraid of the 3m tape not holding up, the only thing you have to worry about is opening the trunk from the spoiler (which is very tempting i know).

There is absolutely no way the spoiler will come off just from driving
Old 01-19-2012, 06:24 PM

Hey guys quick question, do I apply the primer promoter on the adhesive under the spoiler?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ordered mine in suzuka blue cant wait to get it
Old 01-19-2012, 09:43 PM

Alright so I installed mine. I have to say I'm extremely happy with it. The fitment and paint finish is pretty much 9.5/10. Their are virtually zero blemishes. From the time I ordered until I received it was about a week. I have no idea how they paint and ship from Taiwan that fast. Thanks to the tips above, I followed them and am happy with my install. Here are some pictures. Their pretty bad though, camera phone with poor lighting.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by S2k007
Hey guys quick question, do I apply the primer promoter on the adhesive under the spoiler?
Just thought I'd post here what I shared with S2k007. Hopefully it helps answer any question anyone else might have about how to properly install this eBay spoiler.

Originally Posted by sw20trd

You actually want to apply the adhesive promotor on the TRUNK (not spoiler), the same area where you just wiped down with the alcohol wipe. Allow that to sit for 3-10 minutes (or as directed on tube). Then you simply stick the spoiler on the trunk, obviously with the sticky tape exposed.

Here's a hint with sticking the spoiler on the trunk.

1. "Fit" your spoiler to your liking and mark margins with painter's tape (you may need assistance to hold the spoiler steady as you are marking).
2. Do all of your washing, alcohol wipe down, and adhesion promotor application (allow time for drying/curing between each step).
3. Start peeling back 3-4 inches of each STRIP of sticky tape on the spoiler. Based on the pictures in the thread, some came with 4 strips, but on my spoiler, they used shorter strips which totaled 5-6 strips.
4. Next, fold the peeled plastic strip to form a 90 degree angle with the sticky tape, OUT and AWAY from the center of the spoiler. This will allow you to grab and peel later.
5. Align ONE corner of the spoiler to your pre-marked (with painter's tape) margin of where your spoiler should sit. Line up the other end of the spoiler with the other pre-marked margins.
6. Press down firmly on the spoiler as you start to slowly peel back the plastic strips, exposing the sticky tape underneath. While I do NOT think the plastic cover strip will actually rip on you, peel the tape slowly to avoid any ripping. You're screwed if it rips because now you have a spoiler half stuck on with part of the tape strip unexposed and no way to get to it.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Steve

Quick Reply: ebay oem rear spoiler