S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

front bumper scratches.. worth the $$ to repair?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front bumper scratches.. worth the $$ to repair?

I have had back luck recently. This are the worst scratchs on my 06 S2000. The right front bumper took a beating recently. I got quoted 565 for entire bumper respray and repairs in three separate locations spots (2 very minor, one touch up painted but looks like hell, and some scuffs that arent' very noticable but still bother me), or for $300 cosmetic bumper repair, which is on on spot repair that doesn't require you to remove entire bumper, replace emblem, and can be done in a day. Has anyone done this, would you spend the money to fix this, and how good do you think it will come out if I use the cosmetic bumper repair. I'm torn, but this car has 9200 miles on it and was perfect before this. It's making me sick to my stomach, seeing these scratches, but I don't trust getting the entire bumper repainted, nor do i trust the cosmetic bumper repair job either. Thanks!!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts

Personally, I'd just throw an OEM lip on it. It'll cover it up and make it look even better.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by JulieU
Personally, I'd just throw an OEM lip on it. It'll cover it up and make it look even better.

Nice idea, but then I have the other two scratches above it to deal with. Thanks!!
Old 04-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts

OIC. Man, that's a toughy! I'd be hesitant about both too, but would probably lean more towards the cosmetic bumper repair although I'm not really familiar with what all that procedure involves. Perhaps do that first and, if you're not satisfied with it, then have the whole bumper resprayed. Just so you know though, yellow is one of the more difficult colors to match.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any pics of the others? I'd definitely get the spoiler instead though.

Honestly, I'd avoid the paint headache.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by james0933
Any pics of the others? I'd definitely get the spoiler instead though.

Honestly, I'd avoid the paint headache.

I wanna avoid the paint headache, so I'm trying to just get used to this minor damage. This pic of of a small scuff that went all the way down to the paint. I touched it up, as you can see in the photo. The other one is only noticable up close, and didn't make it into the black. The lady at the body shop was honest with me and told me that up close the cosmetic repair will likely be noticable fro up close, so now I'm stuck wondering what I should do. Repainting the entire bumper is not an option, as nothing beats a factory paint job. and I don't want it to fade or crack away in the near future.

I tried my best to keep this car perfect, especially if I decide to sell. Would you fix this, or just touch up paint it? Thanks!!

Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 PM

Have you buffed it at all? The pic makes it hard to see.

With that I would just touch it up. Then touch it up with clear followed by a wet sand and buff.

My suggestion is to find a good detailer in your area to hide or make it as less noticeable as possible

I your gonna paint, you're asking for trouble. A scratch is one thing, but an outstanding repair job can be just as bad. The tint will be off. The mettalics and the way the paint sits will look different. The paint will chip easier. An not to mention the other more common mistakes. Imagine having a scratch the entire length of the bumper.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Have a read through this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/249...olishing+areas

Try what james suggested. Try filling in the scratches with the factory touch up paint, clear the final couple of layers, then give it a wet sand and then polish. However, the scratches look more like gouges, that left raised edges. This might need to be sanded down to the plastic before being filled...
Old 04-07-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by 06Estukay
Have a read through this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/249...olishing+areas

Try what james suggested. Try filling in the scratches with the factory touch up paint, clear the final couple of layers, then give it a wet sand and then polish. However, the scratches look more like gouges, that left raised edges. This might need to be sanded down to the plastic before being filled...

Yeah, they are gouged somewhat deep. The problem is that touch up paint takes like 5-7 layers before the black disapppears. Not sure what I'm gonna do, but most likely I will just hide it the best I can, and live with it. Gotta make a decision soon. The Cosmetic bumper repair will remove these without having to paint entire bumper, but I don't trust that blended painting, and it might come out worse then it is now. Thanks for the tips everyone!!!
Old 04-08-2011, 07:16 PM

Use primer first so the paint will stick and also hide the black.

Quick Reply: front bumper scratches.. worth the $$ to repair?