S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

How To: Complete 2004 Front End Conversion

Old 04-09-2005, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To: Complete 2004 Front End Conversion

OK guys, I've been meaning to post this for awhile.. well here it goes. I did the '04 front end conversion on my '01 about 4-5 months ago, but then the dealer had to buy the car back for legal reasons. (long story - https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...T&f=1&t=258954 ) I got my '02 S2K two months ago and I did the conversion again. One of the main problems I found when doing the conversion is that most of the DIY's on the forum are for the front bumper.. not the headlights. So I was getting pretty frustrated while doing it since I really had no kind of guide to go by. Hopefully this will help some people in the future who decide to do the conversion.

Here's the difference (externally) in the 00-03 and 04+ bumper and headlights: (00-03 on top, 04 on bottom)

The first thing do to of course it to take off the bumper and headlights, you can get the instructions on how to do that off of Rick's site.. www.ricks2k.com

http://www.ricks2k.com/info/instructions/diffuser.pdf

First, here is the 2 main problems I encountered when doing the headlight conversion.

1. The hole on the 04 headlights is too small for the 00-03 HID ballast wiring to fit through.
2. You have to figure a way to bolt the HID ballast onto the 04 headlights since the bolt pattern does not match up.

To solve the first problem I cut the hole on the bottom of the 04 headlight housing so that the old ballast wires could fit through. Since I actually did all the cutting the first time I did the conversion.. I don't have any before pictures of what the bottom of the housing looks like, but you get the idea Here's some pics..

The 00-03 housing with the bigger hole:

Here's the 04 housing after I cut it. I used a razor blade and a dremmel tool:

Here's what happens when you try fit the ballast into the housing.. it's just too small. After you shave the inside down you should be able to squeeze the HID ballast wiring through. It just takes a little bit of maneuvering.

To solve the second problem I used some aluminum and metal strips from Home Depot to hold the old ballast to the new housing:

Here's what it looked like afterwards. It doesn't look very pretty but it was very sturdy and worked really well:

+

Afterwards I wrapped the parts where the housing and ballast come together with some electrical tape. Just to make sure no water or moisture would get into the housing.

It takes some time to get the new headlights onto the car just like you want them. I had an issue with the old ballast rubbing against the frame of the car since I had to "rig" them up to get them onto the new headlights.

Here's some pics on the car before I tighetened everything up:

That's about it with the headlights. Just tighten all the screws up and you should be done with that part.

I'm not going to go into too much detail on putting the 04 bumper on since there are already a few topics about it. But I'll touch on a few things:

1. You will need to purchase the bumper, 04 grill and front tow hook cover. The best place to do that is www.hardtopguy.com. The are also some clips that are used to attach the grill to the bumper that do not come with the bumper or grill when you order them. I looked around at Home Depot but couldn't find them, so I just used the ones off of the old bumper.

2.I did not purchase the 04 splash shield retro kit from hardtopguy.com because I never felt like I needed it when I did the conversion on my '01 5 months ago. My car was also stock, so if/when I put a front lip on my car I will probably buy the retro kit for that extra support. With the 02 splash shields and the 04 bumper, I was able to get 4 of the 10 bolts back on. I guess it's just a personal preference if you want to spend the extra $175.

3. Some people have talked about having to shave down the corner of the front support beam:

EDIT: YOU MUST shave down the top corners of the front support beam. It's the top left corner in this picture and the top right on the other side.

Here's the before and after pics:

Old 04-09-2005, 03:12 PM

I think that's about it.. I may have forgotten something so if you need any help or have any questions just shoot me a PM. Xviper, feel free to add this to the DIY section in UTH forum.

Josh

PS - please only take this as a guide. To be extra safe, you should probably go ahead and purchase the 04 splash shield retro kit and shave down the support beam. But hey, I
Old 04-10-2005, 06:33 AM

Great write-up Josh I just finished my AP2 Headlight conversion.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:52 AM

nice job!!
it is quiet a bit of work
but u know u feel good lookin at your car afterwards
Old 04-10-2005, 12:53 PM

Question: Did you have any issues with aiming the new headlights?

Just wondering! The job looks good though!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Intrepid175,Apr 10 2005, 02:53 PM
Question: Did you have any issues with aiming the new headlights?

Just wondering! The job looks good though!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
The headlights line up perfectly. No aiminig issues so far.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:22 PM
vvs

Can you use the 04 bumper with the 02 headlights or do you have to convert the head lights?
Old 04-14-2005, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by vvs,Apr 14 2005, 07:22 PM
Can you use the 04 bumper with the 02 headlights or do you have to convert the head lights?
No you don't have to. In fact, if you do only the bumper you will save A LOT of time.. the headlights can be a PITA. But absolutely worth it I think.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:47 PM

did u get a whole 04 splash guard or pre 04 fit with 04 bumper?
Old 04-17-2005, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ooalloems2koO,Apr 17 2005, 09:47 PM
did u get a whole 04 splash guard or pre 04 fit with 04 bumper?
I didn't buy the 04 splash guards. I didn't see the $160 being worth it.. I have since added an 04 front lip to the 04 front bumper and it feels really sturdy without the 04 splash guards.

Quick Reply: How To: Complete 2004 Front End Conversion