S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

paint and insurance question

Old 02-23-2013, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint and insurance question

Some girl at work hit my car parking and dented the door and scraped it up. My question is my S is a 2000 so the paint is getting bad and i dont think they will be able to match it so im gonna try to get a new paint job out of it. I was wondering if anyone has been successful with this. Mine is berlina black right now and would love to get the new 2013 civic blue on her. What should i say to insurance to get this to happen? any input would be great!
Old 02-23-2013, 12:30 AM

Oh and another thing. I want the color that is a blue with hint of green in it almost and was wondering if that was Dyno Blue Pearl?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would have the nicest insurance company in history, if you got them to paint your whole car. Your only shot would be to talk with the body shop and try and convince them to insist to the adjuster that they can't match the paint. Although, I don't see that happening. If you're dead set on a full color change though, you could talk with the body shop and see about paying the difference, this would be your better and more achievable route.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:01 PM

yea ive come to the same conclusion. Thats probably what Ill end doing. But if i dont have enough money my clear coat is pretty bad, the previous owner didn't take to good care of it and im afraid of my door being a darker black and if its the least bit off itll kill me to even look at the car
Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 AM

yeah, good luck with that. ive been doing body work for around 10 years now and the only people that get an entire paint job out of an insurance claim end up paying out of pocket... on top of their deductible. sorry bud.

off topic have you tried any rubbing compound on your old paint? unless the clear is peeling or just dead you can usually shine it up with some compound, polish and a good glaze or wax.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:43 AM

yea when i bought the car it was oxidized and the paint was destroyed and i used different compounds and waxes and it looks 1000x better but its just dead. I worked as a detailer for a while and had access to just about everything possible but the paints just old. After a wax itll look good for a week or so. Im justgonna talk to the shop though and pay the rest of the job.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will never get someone else's insurance to paint your whole car in a case like this. Besides, a little mismatch on the door will look better than non matching door jams and engine bay.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wickwirew
What should i say to insurance to get this to happen? any input would be great!
You can say anything you want but it won't happen. You'll need to hand over the difference to your shop if you want a full repaint.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:32 AM

I agree with the rest of the guys about it being a very slim chance they will paint the entire car. Especially a complete color change. Coming from a guy who just did the same thing and went from spa yellow to gpw, it's not worth it! The chances that you are completely happy after a complete color change, is also very slim to none.

I think most of us would agree that you'd be lucky enough to get a full respray in bb, let alone a complete color change. What i'd do is find a couple body shops to give you some sizeable quotes, get the insurance money, and find a decent priced body shop to just do a respray and pay the extra.

Good luck, keep it bb, it's a quality color and looks very nice if kept up on.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:20 PM

Yea im going to start getting some quotes here soon as soon as I can get a day off work. But luckily have some friends with paint booths back home that could help out with pricing! but thanks for in the input you guys! and bringing me back to reality that theyre not gonna do a full respray haha.

Quick Reply: paint and insurance question