S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Painting entire car

Old 02-09-2010, 12:32 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Painting entire car

Just wondering for those that have had their entire car resprayed the factory color how much did it cost for a quality job? I feel like as small as the s2k is it shouldn't be terribly expensive to do the entire car. Also consider the fact that from the bottom of the windows up is left untouched. Would should I expect to pay? Also, if they charge less how much less do you think a shop would charge if I said I would do final wet sanding + buffing myself?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say first go to some body shops in your area and just get some quotes. Then come tell us how much they want and we'll let you know if its a good deal or not. Pricing varies from shop to shop, so there is no real definite answer for you on that. the pricing usually all includes wet sanding and buffing. If you told them not to, and that you'll do it, they most likely arent going to take much off the price.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:00 PM

^makes sense. I definitely plan to do that. I will however not mention anything about doing wetsanding/buffing myself until after I get the all included price. I know if I told them I'd do it up front they won't knock the price down much if at all.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family has had quite a few cars painted and from experience I can tell you money is the deciding factor but so is the shops reputation.

Someone could charge you 1k which is a very reasonable price for a quality paint job, but could cut corners and paint rubber bits, or use poor quality paint.

Same thing goes for shops that charge 500 a job, which no matter what you should probably steer clear from.

Your best bet is to look up their reputation from other people in your area, or even check out work done on their cars (the best factor, especially if you look at their cars at least 6 months to a year after the job was done) shitty paint usually takes time before it'll start to crack and peel.

I wouldn't bother doing any of the final work myself, because at least if something happens to the paint soon after the job was done, they can't blame you for messing it up.

Good luck with your search.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:35 AM

^Good call on the last thing you said. I didn't even think about them being able to blame any future defects on me and them being out of having to fix it.

The guy that painted my front lip told me $1000 to paint the entire car, just the outside. His job on the lip was great but at the same time it's just a front lip. I feel like a front lip will be far easier to make look good than an entire car.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:33 PM

Just my .02 but i have a couple friends who do paint work and $1000 respray is way too cheap! You wont get a good quality job that i know of for anyless than $2500. I mean if you're picky like me you dont want trash in the paint or any orange peel and definately NO runs.
You want it to be as slick and clean as it came from the factory if not cleaner
Old 02-10-2010, 05:54 PM

If a thousand buys a great respray in Virgina, I'm driving there whenever i need paint work done. That Quote is way too cheap to have an quality materials. A good PPG clear out here is 250-250 a gallon, 150-200 for a quality sealer, and upwards of 300-400 for a base coat. so from materials cost at cheapest 700 he must be in love with you to do the prep mask paint for 300. most Quality shops will charge 2500 at least.
Jake
Old 02-11-2010, 09:50 AM

^Thanks guys. I'm thinking it was way too cheap as well but I was just wondering. I figured $1000 sounded way too good to be true for any kind of paint job that I'd be happy with.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

should cost anywhere from $5-8k. If you think i'm crazy, then I suppose you're not taking into account the amount of work that it takes nor the difference in a quality paint job (worth it) versus a low quality job (better off not painting it)
Old 02-11-2010, 10:59 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

i got my front minus the hood painted and the whole driver side removing dings and dents from door and rear quarter, they did all of that for 1100. The paint matched perfect and i have liftetime warranty so i was happy.

Quick Reply: Painting entire car