S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Replacing my soft top

Old 08-20-2018, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing my soft top

I have 3 tears and have tried several things. The latest epoxy and patches looks terrible but it is holding. I am fearless, retired and wondering how hard it would be for me to replace my top myself? Where is a good place to buy a top? Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess it depends what kind of top you want, OEM or aftermarket.

Robbins Haartz Stayfast Cloth (popular choice) over the OEM vinyl. It looks darker/richer than OEM. Topsonline.com carries softtops of various material/color.

It's not a hard install, just very time consuming.

This is your bible: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...ns-top-448840/
Old 08-22-2018, 01:18 PM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Like everything else, there are so many choices. I am conflicted myself. I was pretty keen on Convertible Top Guys and I am planning on doing mine this winter since I insulated my garage and installed a heater. If I do it over the winter I won't feel rushed to get it done so I can drive the car. Mine is in decent shape with no rips or tears but it has some odd "rubbed shiny" areas and the plastic rear window is hazy. It held up well for being original though.

https://www.convertibletopguys.com/
Old 12-13-2018, 10:22 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Epoxy is never good to use as it is not flexible. I recommend using Aleene's Super Fabric Adhesive or shoe goo clear. They are similar products but Aleene's is a bit more flexible. Use the glue under the top cover with a thick canvas patch. Of course nothing looks better than a new top.
The following users liked this post:
Emil St-Hilaire (04-06-2019)
Old 12-15-2018, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The person that installed my soft top took 14 hours for his first time.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:51 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Soft roof replacement is an all day job. Probably a minimum of 7 or 8 hours from my glance at the procedure. Takes that long as much of the interior of the car has to come out, maybe even the seats for installation convenience. Notes abound here over the years about poor fits and flooded trunks and interiors from taking shortcuts. I'll want an experienced craftsman to install my roof when the time comes.

With labor being so expensive I'd not skimp on roof materials and would bet the best available fabric.

I think "hardtopguy" (or similar) in Old Brooklyn or Brooklyn Heights (OH) may still do this.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 12-16-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:21 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

I agree with Mr Chuck S. I am a pretty handy, do it yourself kind of guy but some jobs are best left to those who know what they are doing and have done it a bunch before. This is one of them.

I want the job to be done perfectly the first time and have no issues when the rain comes.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:08 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

I think I'm going to order my fabric top from GAHH. They now own Robbins as well. I'd like to confirm if Robbins is their lower-tier brand or if it's just a brand-naming price gouge, because the Robbins can be had for roughly $650 vs the GAHH coming in at $1100 shipped. At that point OEM is only $300 or so more but I won't be paying that outrageous price for a vinyl top......Fit and finish has proven to be good with Robbins and I think(?) Sierra brand tops. People that go for the Robbins don't have complaints usually, and most of the issues are installer error. I'll dig into it a little more and get back on this one as far as potential differences in material quality / manufacturing quality for the price difference.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:04 PM
S20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There’s a group install for Soft Top replacement in Northern Virginia. We are hoping to start in early May. Please Message me with ur mobile number to be included.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:04 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I posted the "which brand is better" question to tops online.com regarding EZon and Robbins. They said at this point both are pretty close to the same and get whichever your installer prefers. Just skip there vynal and go for cloth, vynal smells in the summer sun.

If this is the right advice or not I don't know, but they sell a lot of tops....

Quick Reply: Replacing my soft top