S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Rocker Panel Replacement

Old 06-03-2019, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Panel Replacement

Hey everyone, I need some advice about my rocker panel. I was at the Dragon and was being a complete idiot and took a corner too fast and spun into a ditch resulting in this horrific damage. I understand the panel is welded in so does anyone know if this could be repaired and if so how much? Im really worried and heartbroken that this could be beyond repair so any help or advice would be very much appreciate. Thank you.

Last edited by AustinAP2; 06-03-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:00 PM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

When welded panels need to be replaced, they cut the old panel out, weld the new one in. Then bodywork and paint. Its not a big deal (but ain't cheap).

There are basically two options.

1. Cut out the entire panel. Usually they drill out spot welds, then pry and chisel off the old part. Spot weld new part in place. Not sure if rocker is spot welded, or a welded seam.

2. Cut out only the damaged area, and splice the new panel to existing metal. Basically they use the new panel as if it were a patch panel. Butt weld the panels together (or overlap weld. Butt weld has less chance of rusting).

Both options have their place. Option 2 preserves more of the original metal, and original shape and original integrity. A restoration shop is more likely to do option 2. Especially if its a rust repair. Option 2 requires more skill. Welding skill and panel cutting skill.

Option 1 is more of what a collision repair shop would do. Do it fast, get on to the next car. If the shop isn't restoration level skilled, option 1 is going to turn out better. A shop that doesn't regularly do option 2 is going to make a mess if they try it. Especially if they are a collision shop trying to get on to next car.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:45 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Rocker panel replacement requires removal of the rear quarter, removing front and rear bumpers, the front fender on that side ,stripping the interior to remove soft top, and removing the door. Which means to replace a rocker with an oem panel completely you will have to replace the rear quarter as well as you will likely destroy the rear quarter removing it to get to the rocker.

You can see how much of the rocker is past the seam sealer at the bottom rear of door in this picture

Your best bet is to do as Car analogy suggested and by an oem panel, cut out the damage and weld in the new trimmed panel as a patch panel.

The other option is weld pulling. the rocker would get stripped to metal, then basically nails that get welded to the skin and you use slide hammer or hydraulic puller to pull it back to shape, cut the nails off, grind them flat, and use body filler.

Id personally do a patch panel, unless it was a car I was salvaging and the rear quarters also already needed replaced.

Last edited by Deckoz; 06-19-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-17-2023, 01:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

@AustinAP2 did you ever get this fixed? I don't see why this could not just be pulled and painted.