S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

sideswiped - need help assessing damage (photos & video)

Old 08-17-2015, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sideswiped - need help assessing damage (photos & video)

Hi Guys and Gals,

Plz help me assess the damage.

Been a lurker here for ages, wanted an S2k for 12 yrs since I was a teenager. Please allow me to vent in lieu of a formal intro. Two months ago, I finally mustered up the courage to sell my boring VW CC (to Carmax of all places).

I live and work in Irvine and managed to find one on autotrader at a used car dealership - MY'07 NFR bone stock, excellent condition save for soft top wear. I fell in love with it the two months I had it and had planned to become an active forum member here at S2Ki.

During my two months owning this amazing machine, I have randomly encountered half a dozen other S2K owners on the street and all showed love, even extended convos while cruising on surface streets during rush hour hehe - made me feel warm and tingly inside.

Two weeks ago, someone slashed a 3in hole on my soft top. Today, this crap happened in a strip mall parking lot:

http://imgur.com/VB5ZWf6,5zwoVOH#0

http://imgur.com/zYDPxJ2,mQBTXxA#1

http://imgur.com/VB5ZWf6,5zwoVOH#1

Other guy's car:

http://imgur.com/zYDPxJ2,mQBTXxA#0

For those familiar with North Tustin and Irvine, this occurred on the shopping plaza at Portola and Culver. I was in the parking lot going South away from the CVS and about the make a right turn for breakfast at McDonald's. Just as I was about to turn, I see a late-model blue sedan coming from my right at 20mph about to make a left turn into my lane and not slowing down. I came to a full stop.

His turning radius was unreasonably directed toward the center of the unmarked driving lane. I thought he would either slow down or adjust his steering angle - or both. He did not. It was the most awful sound I've heard in a while. I can only conclude from this and his comments to me afterward that he did not see me due to being distracted by something - be it a phone, a burger, etc. Fact is he didn't see me (his words verbatim).

So I get out of the car and before I'm able to turn my Iphone on to record, he apologized to me no less than three times in quick succession. We photographed each other's cars, license plate, CA DL, insurance, etc. I then started to record on my phone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyDDDVlFeyI (unlisted youtube vid)

Is it just me or did he admit to liability in several instances early on? Man I wish I had mounted a dash-cam.

Here's where I need your help guys:

1) I have yet to send this video to either insurance company - should I? I spoke with both insurance carriers today, being the first to obtain claim numbers. I have a $1k deductible unless the other guy is found liable.

2) Do you agree with my assessment that the entire bumper must be replaced? What about the rear fender panel - since the dent is so massive?

Much love, thanks in advance!
Old 08-17-2015, 06:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately cant see the pictures or videos at work but judging by what you're saying here I would turn everything over including the video if its something that could help over to insurance and let them send someone out to assess the damage professionally with BRAND NEW OEM PARTS. Don't let them try and use second hand stuff. Better yet find a top notch body and have them give the estimate so you know you aren't getting the run around.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:21 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't publicly post any video of anything while this is being decided.

If it was my car, I would take it to 2 good body shops whose work I am either already personally familiar with or who come highly recommended from friends who have the same level of demand for quality as I do and get quotes from them on what is needed.

I would let the insurance people argue about who is at fault and I wouldn't involve any kind of recordings unless things aren't going my way.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:38 PM

good suggestions.

1) Does anyone have any good suggestions for a reputable body work and/or paint match place in Orange County? I would think the answer is yes due to the relative abundance of S2000s her.

2) My own insurance suggested I visit a chain body shop called "Service Kings" - anyone have experience with these folks?

My standpoint:

4) If you pause the video at 2.5 seconds and 4:33 minutes into the video, you will see that my car was far to the left of the unmarked median. He claims at least three times that my car was in the middle of the turning lane. I had barely started my turn, my car was 7 degrees in at the most.

3) For some reason the guy just did not see me, he said as much 8 times in the video. From the video he admits to not braking until he began the precarious turn. And that "I could have tried to avoid your car better."

The other person's insurance actually told me not to worry that liability was a done deal after I described our video encounter and his admissions. *fingers crossed*

Again, do you folks think that: 1) the complete bumper needs to be replaced and/or 2) the complete rear fender panel must be replaced?
Old 08-17-2015, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Personally, I wouldn't publicly post any video of anything while this is being decided.
Thanks for the reminder; this vid is unlisted meaning only S2ki members know of its existence. But of course, I don't plan on keeping the vid there for long.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:42 PM

Requests for recommendations in your geographic region are best posted in your geographic region. SoCal subforum here.

And again, I would would allow a qualified body shop review the car before making a decision as to what parts need to be replaced.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/forum/16-...-s2000-owners/
Old 08-17-2015, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by OCAtty
Originally Posted by RMurphy' timestamp='1439864517' post='23717582
Thanks for the reminder; this vid is unlisted meaning only S2ki members know of its existence. But of course, I don't plan on keeping the vid there for long.
If it's accessible here, it's accessible by anyone period. All anyone needs is a link. S2ki isn't a private board. It's accessible by anyone with or without a login name. And removing the video only means you removed it from your youtube account. It doesn't stop someone from deciding to swipe it off of youtube before you remove it. Always think twice (and sometimes three times) before posting *anything* (particularly videos) on the Internet.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by OCAtty' timestamp='1439865691' post='23717594
[quote name='RMurphy' timestamp='1439864517' post='23717582']
If it's accessible here, it's accessible by anyone period. All anyone needs is a link. S2ki isn't a private board. It's accessible by anyone with or without a login name. And removing the video only means you removed it from your youtube account. It doesn't stop someone from deciding to swipe it off of youtube before you remove it. Always think twice (and sometimes three times) before posting *anything* (particularly videos) on the Internet.
[/quote]

EDIT:::

RMurphy

I have no problem with removing the video, and genuinely respect your concerns - video has now been set to private. Deleted rather.

I simply wanted the opinion of fellow owners of the S2k and vehicles in general as to their gauge on the extent of the damage based on their wealth of experience compared to myself

And please feel free to kick this over to the SoCal subforum.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:02 PM

Ok. Specific body and paint questions. Cool. Gotcha!
Old 08-17-2015, 07:05 PM

Any suggestions for reputable SoCal shops?

Quick Reply: sideswiped - need help assessing damage (photos & video)