S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Spa yellow ? Or rio ? Rio spa ?

Old 06-12-2020, 07:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Spa yellow ? Or rio ? Rio spa ?

So I have a 2001 with a y52p paint code but the whole car has basically been repainted at some time or different times . So the fun starts when I got my front bumper, lip, spoiler painted y52p , shit is way off . This has me thinking my car was painted rio at some time ? Could there be this much variance in spa yellow ? My what I thought was spa yellow oem hardtop seems to match fine . Wtf is going on ?
Old 06-12-2020, 07:28 PM

Old 06-12-2020, 07:30 PM

Does a hardtop have a paint code on it ?
Old 06-12-2020, 08:44 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000_916
Could there be this much variance in spa yellow ?
took me ~85 spray outs on color cards to get spa layed down to match the rest of my car. Spa is a tri stage paint.

The clear coat is not clear, it has color and pearl in it.

So you must put down the right amount of base layers and the right amount of clear mix, as well as adjust your guns flow. It is not an easy color to paint, and every car is going to be slightly different because of time in the sun.

You should take this and your car to an experienced painter.

Whoever did your bumper did not put nearly enough base on.

I can also say that whomever painted it used y52p spa for the paint mix, not rio, but the layers are put down all wrong.

Sorry I don't mean to sound harsh, but for anyone on the forum that reads this in the future, if your color code is a tristage paint,. Not dual stage, aka it has "pearl" in the name. Please please please just take your car or the fuel door to the painter. Don't just drop off the part with the color code

Last edited by Deckoz; 06-12-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Deckoz
took me ~85 spray outs on color cards to get spa layed down to match the rest of my car. Spa is a tri stage paint.

So you must put down the right amount of base layers and the right amount of clear mix, as well as adjust your guns flow. It is not an easy color to paint, and every car is going to be slightly different because of time in the sun.

I can also say that whomever painted it used y52p spa for the paint mix, not rio, but the layers are put down all wrong.

Sorry I don't mean to sound harsh, but for anyone on the forum that reads this in the future, if your color code is a tristage paint,. Not dual stage, aka it has "pearl" in the name. Please please please just take your car or the fuel door to the painter. Don't just drop off the part with the color code
thanks for the reply no offense taken, but i am starting to think my car was born spa, repainted rio, because my hardtop matches with the rest of the car. my hardtop is oem paint that i thought was spa but was rio all along ? from looking at pics online it seems like my color is darker then other spa yellows and looks more like rio. thats the only thing that can explain the color being so off but my hardtop with oem paint still matching rest of the car that has been repainted at some time.
Old 06-13-2020, 05:30 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Your hardtop and car are definitely SPA. Here are a few of mine.

Put I will put the first picture as one that shows how deceiving spa can be based on light source.

You can see the light to dark fade of the paint due to the volume of light changing further into my garage in this first pic. The other pictures I've taken at proper iso, or over exposed (hood.picture)

Notice color change as the light changes deeper into my garage

Proper exposure

High exposure

Proper exposure

Flat panel, full light, spa

As well, Rio has pigment in it that makes it fall into the orange family in the color mix(it's yellow but has red in it). Spa mixes can't end up orangish like Rio.

Someone else's pic on forum

Last edited by Deckoz; 06-13-2020 at 05:37 AM.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:47 AM

Old 06-13-2020, 08:54 AM

the door jams are much lighter and much closer to the front bumper but still darker, in the rocker panel at the bottom seem the rear half of the car is much darker then the front part of the rocker. i think what would settle this for me will be if the hardtop had a spa paint code on it. very hard to show in pics , the camera just dooesnt pick it up. thanks for helping
Old 07-18-2020, 11:53 AM

So they did a few more paint cards and this one was the closest . It’s not perfect but it’s pretty good
The following users liked this post:
Deckoz (07-19-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 07:39 AM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz

I've never detailed a SPA but the whole tinted clear tri-stage makes sense. New Formula Red is the same deal. It doesn't have the pearl that Spa does but it is a tri-stage with a tinted clear. Every NFR that I've polished started bleeding pink onto my pads right as soon as they touched the paint.

It's also a pain in the ass to match properly.
The following users liked this post:
Deckoz (07-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Spa yellow ? Or rio ? Rio spa ?