S2000 Body and Paint Body kits, paint, ding repair and related discussions

Stupid Question About Robbins Top

Old 11-24-2015, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stupid Question About Robbins Top

Disappointingly, the plastic rear window on my 01 soft top ripped yesterday when I put it down in the semi-cold weather. Really sucks because my top is in otherwise perfect condition; It has/had been very well maintained over it's 14 years. There are no rips, tears, or discolorations otherwise...

Anyway, I know that it costs almost as much to just replace the shitty plastic rear window as it is to upgrade to a glass top.

I realize this is a dumb question but I'd rather ask to make sure before buying one: The glass backed soft tops offered by Robbins for the 00-01 S2K's can still be retracted and folded down correct? I'm just having a hard time visualizing where the glass will go when it folds since there's nowhere for it to retract to. I'm assuming it folds up a certain way.

I'm also debating on trying to save money and install it myself and going through yet another headache this year or just getting it done somewhere. The installation seems relatively straightforward albeit tedious.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:08 PM

And a follow up: Where are you supposed to buy these now? Only place I can find with them listed off Google is eBay, and their "distributor" page on their main site isn't working.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

The glass will fold down in the right place, it may need some guidance (see a glass top equipped car in action to find out where it folds). The aftermarket glass is slightly smaller than OEM glass so it has even more room to fit. Installation is easy enough, it just takes time and a rivet gun.

For purchasing, go with www.topsonline.com. Phone would be best and when ordering make sure to mention S2Ki, they should knock off shipping costs (it'll take about 3 weeks if not more to get out to you between making it and shipping it).
Old 11-24-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

If the roof is in good condition just replace the window. Glass or plastic. There are shops that specialize in this repair.
-- Chuck
Old 11-24-2015, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fokker
The glass will fold down in the right place, it may needs some guidance (see a glass top equipped car in action to see where it folds). The aftermarket glass is slightly smaller than OEM glass so it has even more room to fit. Installation is easy enough, it just takes time and a rivet gun.

For purchasing, go with www.topsonline.com. Phone would be best and when ordering make sure to mention S2Ki, they should knock off shipping costs (it'll take about 3 weeks if not more to get out to you between making it and shipping it).
Thank you, that was super helpful

Originally Posted by Chuck S
If the roof is in good condition just replace the window. Glass or plastic. There are shops that specialize in this repair.
-- Chuck
I'd like to do this but everything I've read has indicated that it's more labor and ends up costing almost as much as an all new top.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the glass window conversion to my 01. The glass is much smaller than the plastic window. When the top folds down the glass lays flat in the rear tray. You will loose use of the tonneau cover and will have to remove the little tabs that hold the cover down so the glass doesn't break. There was minimal modifications with new straps which came with the top. Definitely worth it IMO
Old 01-08-2016, 11:57 AM

Does topsonline.com ever offer discounts beyond shipping?i need one for my 2002.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by peiserg
Does topsonline.com ever offer discounts beyond shipping?i need one for my 2002.
Maybe through group buys, I've never seen anything advertised for sales or product discounts.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Fokker
The glass will fold down in the right place, it may need some guidance (see a glass top equipped car in action to find out where it folds). The aftermarket glass is slightly smaller than OEM glass so it has even more room to fit. Installation is easy enough, it just takes time and a rivet gun.

Correct on all accounts, I picked up my top from robbins on ebay. My roommate and I installed it in about 6.5 hours ish