S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

[HELP] Suspension setting to reduce oversteer

Old 11-07-2010, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy [HELP] Suspension setting to reduce oversteer

I just picked up my 2002 AP1 S2000 2 days ago. And I've already spun the car once in a corner (luckily nothing/noone was hurt).

The problem is, I don't know much about modification but my car came with quite a bit of suspendsion mods on it already (it was someone's SCCA auto-x/road racing car).

I don't know whether it is my driving style (I've been an FF driver since I learnt to drive) or the car setup, it spun at just 30km/h (~19mph) which I took with my FA5 Civic Si at double the speed.

I've asked the previous owner about the mods. There are quite a bunch of bars under the car (X-member, 2 bars running from the front to mid-rear of the car), among them are 2 pretty thick Comptech sway bars which are 32 front and rear. Does that mean the car will oversteer quite a bit? Tires are running stock spec with spacers to clear the front BBK, and tires are like 80% new (6/32" front, 8/32" rear). It also comes with Tein coilover (Flex) with electronic control.

Should I just give more seat time or should I swap the rear sway bar with the stock one? I'm kinda scared in corners right now...(even in intersections). I was running the TEIN at F:6, R:8 when I spun the car, and now I'm running F:6, R:16 (softest setting)...but still I don't know whether I should lower my rear tire pressure first or just swap the rear sway bar...

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is your tire pressure? Spinning the car at 19 mph doesn't sound right unless you were doing something completely wrong.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:26 AM

I bet it may be because of the weather (raining) and there might be some mud at the edge of the corner. But this can't explain why I spin but the car in front of me (a Camry) drove past with ease...
I'm pretty sure I didn't lift the throttle or brake during the corner. (I was mentally in "curising" mode). It's a very sudden oversteer and ended up in a spin. I didn't even feel any lateral force.

I just checked the wheelies, they are likely at stock spec as the AP2 with 37.5psi each corner.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:51 AM

while it's true that chassis stiffening bars will affect the handling characteristics of the car, I think your biggest factor is the sway bars. I'm no expert, but the increased sway bars in both front and back will increase demand from your tires.

But the biggest problem was probably the rain. Compared to FWD in the rain, RWD cars are just a crazy mess when driving hard in the rain.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lower your tire pressure to 32 PSI, put the stock rear sway bar back on. That should make a big difference.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robinson,Nov 8 2010, 07:15 AM
Lower your tire pressure to 32 PSI, put the stock rear sway bar back on. That should make a big difference.
++
Old 11-08-2010, 04:01 PM

are you sure you werent just flooring it through the corner in first gear. because then yes its seat time you need.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by cfap2,Nov 8 2010, 05:01 PM
are you sure you werent just flooring it through the corner in first gear. because then yes its seat time you need.
I was at 2nd gear and maintaining throttle.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

in addition to what was already said - on the wet you must much more crefull.
what tires do you have?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:26 PM

It seems like the rear is now much more planted to the ground when I soften the suspension and lowered the rear tire pressure.

Still, the spinning was mysterious as if something pushed the tail of my car during the corner.

I don't remember the brand of the tire, will check later.

Quick Reply: [HELP] Suspension setting to reduce oversteer