S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

90% daily 10% track ?

Old 02-26-2010, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I have the money for it, just thought that maybe a cheaper coilover will fit my needs. But if I got into autox later down the rode, I would have a nice set to start, instead of having to get a new setup.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:37 AM

Have you tracked the oem suspension ? That is my biggest regret I never had a baseline on OE suspension and I would still be on stock shocks if I hadn't gotten a steal on my V3's
Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Feb 26 2010, 05:08 PM
But different peoples' definitions of amazing differ. My autocross codriver likes a looser car than I do -- if he sets up the car to his liking, I find it too hairy in transitions, and if I set up the car to my liking, he finds it too pushy.

The original poster is new to tracking -- it's not clear if he's ever turned a wheel in anger or even knows what understeer or oversteer is. It's way too early for him to be modifying his car.

P.S. - It's spelled "disclosure".
Thanks, I must have mistyped it in haste while at work.

P.S. I believe the period is placed within the quotes when adhering to formal American English style rules. Outside is more of a British thing, from what I understand, despite the superior logic to it.

Anyway, judging from his comments and how he'll only be tracking 10% of the time, I kind of got the sense that he would be getting a suspension upgrade regardless of how many of us tell him oem is fine for the track. I get the feeling few will actually ever listen to that line of advice when they've already started shopping for a suspension, except for the more hardcore folk (which is kind of ironic), so I gave him my two cents.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:02 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kemosabe,Feb 26 2010, 05:41 PM
I have a reputable shop to do the adjusting and all that.
Dude, not that kind of adjusting. We're not talking about installation, we're talking about tuning. Your shop is not going to do that for you unless you have them take it out on a track / autocross course.

Try to find a local track guy to help you out. They'd be a good starting place if you have someone to help you.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=moogleii,Feb 27 2010, 01:58 AM]Anyway, judging from his comments and how he'll only be tracking 10% of the time, I kind of got the sense that he would be getting a suspension upgrade regardless of how many of us tell him oem is fine for the track.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:29 AM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Ya, there's no real support, baseline damper settings for various setups,or help on S2Ki for the KW V3s...

Old 02-27-2010, 10:28 AM

Give op some break. Some prefer the lowered look. Some prefer stiffer springs. Nothing wrong with wanting to go KW, which happen to be one of the better coilover out there. It's not like he is asking about Ebay coilover.

Op: if u r in socal, hire Billy to dial in KWV3. better yet, hire him to coach u, then trick him to dial the car in for free. He will get it 90% there. Last 10% is personal preference.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:59 PM

How much better would it be just to install CR shocks and springs ? I autocross ( str class) and have been considering this option. It wouldn't give the lowered look, but I don't care and like was said before, too much adjusting could drive me crazy. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by bellwilliam,Feb 27 2010, 11:28 AM
Give op some break. Some prefer the lowered look. Some prefer stiffer springs. Nothing wrong with wanting to go KW, which happen to be one of the better coilover out there. It's not like he is asking about Ebay coilover.

Op: if u r in socal, hire Billy to dial in KWV3. better yet, hire him to coach u, then trick him to dial the car in for free. He will get it 90% there. Last 10% is personal preference.
Yeah, I want the car lowered first of course. And I am looking for a coilover to will do that and track sometimes. The guy who does the install and all that builds M3 track cars from the ground up and tracks them all the time.

I actually live in Orlando so thats damn far from Cali lol. Thanks again for all the replies.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by PedalFaster,Feb 27 2010, 07:51 AM
Yeah, I like that. "Thanks for your advice, all you experienced track guys -- I'm going to completely ignore it, as I'd made up my mind before I asked you and was just looking for validation."

One more time more explicitly for the original poster just for the record: installing aftermarket parts, even known good aftermarket parts that fast guys use, can make your car a lot worse if you don't know what you're doing. Many "performance" shops don't have the slightest clue what they're doing. You'd be better off driving your car stock until you know what you're doing. But you're not going to listen to this anyway.

Ah, interesting -- I had no idea. I'm Canadian, which means I was taught British grammar and spelling. I generally adhere to American spelling ("honor" just makes more sense than "honour"), but in this case I'm going to stick to British rules because they make more sense.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/GRAMM.../quotation.htm
Listen, Im not asking whether I should get coilovers or not. Im asking if these TYPE of coilovers would be good for what I am looking for. I want to lower the car now, so I might as well get a coilover to start off no? And yes I am "set" on getting coilovers before starting this thread, but I was asking if the KWV3s would be ideal for what im looking for.

Quick Reply: 90% daily 10% track ?