S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

About to do a rotor and pad change

Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default About to do a rotor and pad change

Well, this will be the first time I'll be doing rotors on the S2000. I've done pads before, so I'm not worried about that. I will also be doing the job in my garage, so I'm not sure if I have all the appropriate tools. I've done a few suspension jobs in my garage, so I have a good selection of your typical tools.

My concern is if there are any things I might be missing for the rotor/pad job. I plan on using pliers and a rag, to retract the front pistons. But, is it required to find a retractor tool for the rear piston? Thought I've seen something about just using a 3/8" drive to twist it in. Only real thing I'm nervous about, is getting the rotor screws out and getting the rotors off the hubs.

This is what I'll be installing:

-Powerslot slotted rotors all around
-AP1 pads
-ATE Type 200 amber fluid, to replace my current Super Blue

Any tips or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

your going to need a special tool for the rear pistons, you can get it at any auto parts store. i use a c-clamp to push the front piston back in but i think what your using should work. as far as doing the rotors, my screws were a b*tch so good luck with that
Old 01-26-2011, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are a few things that you probably want/need during the install.

- Impact driver to remove screw that holds the rotors in place just in case you havent already removed them.

-C clamp to retract front piston and maybe a small piece of wood. The C clamp makes live wonderful.

-Autozone rents a whole front and rear pistion retracting kit. I've used it for the S and again, made life wonderful.

-Some grease in case you dont already have some to lube the caliper bolts/slides.

As far as doing the brake fluid, I dont know if you plan on having 2 people do it but I have a Motive Power Bleeder if you want to use that. It might make it easier. And as always, hit me up if you need a hand.

-Najib
Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tools have been mentioned,but do have 3 suggestions.

Repaint the rotor hats ( front&back) and the vents with hi temp anti-rust paint...AND install SS lines & speed bleeder valves.

\rlr
carolina

Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by JEEBS,Jan 26 2011, 09:47 AM

- Impact driver to remove screw that holds the rotors in place just in case you havent already removed them.

-C clamp to retract front piston and maybe a small piece of wood. The C clamp makes live wonderful.

-Autozone rents a whole front and rear pistion retracting kit. I've used it for the S and again, made life wonderful.

-Some grease in case you dont already have some to lube the caliper bolts/slides.

As far as doing the brake fluid, I dont know if you plan on having 2 people do it but I have a Motive Power Bleeder if you want to use that. It might make it easier. And as always, hit me up if you need a hand.

-Najib
Use the old brake pad instead of wood to push the piston back in. That way you don't have go looking for one.

The auto parts stores will have a cube that is keyed to twist the rear pistons back into place those are pretty cheap (less than $5). If you'd done suspension this should be cake.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by JEEBS,Jan 26 2011, 12:47 PM

-Najib
Thanks a lot Najib. I was planning on doing a gravity bleed when finished with the install, but I might actually borrow that power bleeder from you.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by redlineracing,Jan 26 2011, 02:03 PM
The tools have been mentioned,but do have 3 suggestions.

Repaint the rotor hats ( front&back) and the vents with hi temp anti-rust paint...AND install SS lines & speed bleeder valves.

\rlr
carolina
Thanks for the info, but the Powerslot rotors that I have coming, already have the hats and vents painted. Hopefully they'll hold up pretty well.

Also, I passed on the SS lines. I figured it was a waste of $100 for a daily driver.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BowlofRice,Jan 26 2011, 11:07 AM
Use the old brake pad instead of wood to push the piston back in. That way you don't have go looking for one.

The auto parts stores will have a cube that is keyed to twist the rear pistons back into place those are pretty cheap (less than $5). If you'd done suspension this should be cake.
the cube that is keyed for the rear pistons... Can't you just use a needle nose plyers? or does the piston have different grooves in it? The reason i ask is because a GM car that i worked on from the mid-90's had pistons you had to twist back in and i used used a needle nose.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:35 PM

You can use needle nose as well. I did before I found out about the cube. On my MR2 I sorta knackered the ridge because of using the the pliers. Same could be said for the cube if you don't have it squarely on there when you twist them down.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:55 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

PB blaster to soak the rotor screws. Impact driver to break the screws loose. I'd hit the screws with PB blaster, wait 15 minutes and hit them again with PB blaster. Wait a bit more and then try the impact driver on them. Hopefully they'll come loose!

If you use the screws with the new rotors, use some anti-seize.

Quick Reply: About to do a rotor and pad change