S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Advice for my Nurburgring trip

Old 11-13-2011, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for my Nurburgring trip

Hi this is my first post on this forum and i've been reading some fantastic advice and noticed some very knowledgable people while looking around so i was wondering if i could get some advice and a few questions answered regarding how to best setup my car for a stable and confident performance on track.

I'm going to the Nurburgring in May next year as i have done for the past 3 years however this 4th trip will be the first time i take my S2000.

1. I'm looking to get a set of coilovers before i go and would like a bit of advice on spring rates mainly (I'm leaning towards the KW v3's).

2. The thing im finding hard to work out with the S2000 is what chassis parts will be effective. So other than coilovers and a front ARB what else should i invest in (arms? bushes? etc)?

3. Wheel and tyre advice. I'm going to buy a set of 17's for the track but what width, tyre size and offset etc shall i get? Is there an optimum setup for this car that everyone swears by?

4. Brakes - I'm looking at getting a Wilwood 4 or 6 pot caliper to go over the standard front disc, braided lines, BMCS and dot 5.1 fluid. Should i get a bias valve to balance out the back and should i do anything else in respect to the brakes?

My car is a 2000 AP1 with 72k on the clock, resonated decat and stainless heatwrapped manifold so far. It runs like a dream and has been serviced within an inch of its life :-)

Thanks for any help. It will be much appreciated.

Christian
Old 11-13-2011, 04:09 PM

You can find wheel fitment guide here. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/342...fitment-guide/
I'd prefer CR tire sizes 215F and 255R.
Also, if your not familiar with the Ring, I would highly recommend hiring an instructor, or play gran turismo.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe I will see you there, I live an hour and a half away, usually go a few times a month. I also have a 2000 with nearly the same miles as you running stock suspension and Hankook V12's 225/245. This was my first season out there and my winter project is for sure my brakes. I wasn't able to hot lap at all because my brake pads were getting way too hot, especially the rears. I am planning some Carbotech pads (HP10 frt/HP8 rear) with some new centric premium rotors and cooling ducts. Personally I would think the calipers up front might be overkill but thats up to you.

As far as some of your other questions I think most people are now going more with square setups but that is mostly your preference. There are a few commonly used wheels out there that facilitate the square setup quite nicely, don't know them off the top of my head. Any of the common aggressive street tires work as well, my Hankooks are fairly cheap and I bought them before moving this way.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

i would love to take mine around the Ring!! You're so lucky!! Have fun and get an onboard camera! Would like to see the video...
Old 11-14-2011, 06:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SLracer
Maybe I will see you there, I live an hour and a half away, usually go a few times a month. I also have a 2000 with nearly the same miles as you running stock suspension and Hankook V12's 225/245. This was my first season out there and my winter project is for sure my brakes. I wasn't able to hot lap at all because my brake pads were getting way too hot, especially the rears. I am planning some Carbotech pads (HP10 frt/HP8 rear) with some new centric premium rotors and cooling ducts. Personally I would think the calipers up front might be overkill but thats up to you.

As far as some of your other questions I think most people are now going more with square setups but that is mostly your preference. There are a few commonly used wheels out there that facilitate the square setup quite nicely, don't know them off the top of my head. Any of the common aggressive street tires work as well, my Hankooks are fairly cheap and I bought them before moving this way.
At the ring I wouldnt say the BBK isnt overkill, its proper . The non-staggered setup I would suggest NOT doing, I can see it oversteering, and in general not having balance like how this car was made. The car was made to be staggered, so its always best to improve on what Honda held back on, to keep costs down. Brake ducting will also be one of the greatest mods for the ring.

To the OP, better brake pads in the rear or a BBK in the rear would work equally as well. Brake ducting would help tons. For tires, get an r-composite. For suspension, sticking to German made I hear is always best, I cant say personally that is proven, just what I have gathered.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by FluKy15
...The non-staggered setup I would suggest NOT doing, I can see it oversteering, and in general not having balance like how this car was made. The car was made to be staggered, so its always best to improve on what Honda held back on, to keep costs down...

For suspension, sticking to German made I hear is always best, I cant say personally that is proven, just what I have gathered.
I'm of the opinion that the non-staggered setup is awesome. If the OP is willing to install a stiffer front anti-roll bar, the balance of the car can be tuned to produce oversteer or understeer. Also, with the same size wheels and tires at all for corners, you can rotate your tires/wheels. It's quite easy to fit 255/40/17 tires up front with minimal clearancing of the fender lips required. This adds a noticeable amount of grip to the front end, compared to tire sizes equal to or only slightly wider than the OE sizes. If spring balance (front to rear) is kept similar to stock, a stiffer front anti-roll bar or softer rear anti-roll bar (or no rear anti-roll bar) will help maintain a balance that doesn't induce too much oversteer.

There are plenty of non German manufacturers that produce quality dampers - AST, MOTON, Penske...just to name a few.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nmrado
Originally Posted by FluKy15' timestamp='1321283327' post='21154437
...The non-staggered setup I would suggest NOT doing, I can see it oversteering, and in general not having balance like how this car was made. The car was made to be staggered, so its always best to improve on what Honda held back on, to keep costs down...

For suspension, sticking to German made I hear is always best, I cant say personally that is proven, just what I have gathered.
I'm of the opinion that the non-staggered setup is awesome. If the OP is willing to install a stiffer front anti-roll bar, the balance of the car can be tuned to produce oversteer or understeer. Also, with the same size wheels and tires at all for corners, you can rotate your tires/wheels. It's quite easy to fit 255/40/17 tires up front with minimal clearancing of the fender lips required. This adds a noticeable amount of grip to the front end, compared to tire sizes equal to or only slightly wider than the OE sizes. If spring balance (front to rear) is kept similar to stock, a stiffer front anti-roll bar or softer rear anti-roll bar (or no rear anti-roll bar) will help maintain a balance that doesn't induce too much oversteer.

There are plenty of non German manufacturers that produce quality dampers - AST, MOTON, Penske...just to name a few.
Im guessing you have the non-staggered setup. How does it feel around turns that are 140 km/h at the limit? Is it still good? I know non-staggered is great for low speed courses especially. It takes some work with adjustment though, as you said.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:39 AM
Former Moderator

Received 146 Likes on 117 Posts

My $.02 on this...

Like any place you go for the first time to do "spirited" driving, make sure you have some seat time in prior to going... I'd say test out your setup first before going out there... especially if you are changing suspension / brake settings.... anything that deviates from what you have been comfortable with is going to take adjustment.. learning how your car behaves at the Ring doesn't seem like the wisest move.

Having said, that have fun....I'm jealous...it's on my bucket list of things i'd like to do someday... well, that and having Sabine take me around in the Ring Taxi
Old 11-16-2011, 06:32 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Christian,

Get yourself over to the UK section - there's plenty of people there who visit reasonably regularly

https://www.s2ki.com/...2000-community/

Track day advice thread here: https://www.s2ki.com/...ck-day-faq-v03/

Why not combine a 'ring trip with a track day at Spa? https://www.s2ki.com/...ith-bookatrack/

Useful 'ring thread here https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/843...o-to-the-ring/

You can use a completely stock car at the Ring if you wish, or you can go in something that's been modified out of all recognition.

Some better brakes are the thing that I'd really recommend getting (I use Dixcels for my trackdays whoch are very good). Anything else is just "nice to have".
Old 11-16-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by FluKy15
Im guessing you have the non-staggered setup. How does it feel around turns that are 140 km/h at the limit? Is it still good? I know non-staggered is great for low speed courses especially. It takes some work with adjustment though, as you said.
Yep, I'm using 255/40/17s at all four corners on 17x9+63mm wheels. It feels great in high speed corners. I have it set up to understeer slightly, which just allows me to be more aggressive with trail braking without having to catch the rear of the car all the time. I'm using a 1.25 solid front anti-roll bar on the softest setting and no rear anti-roll bar. I'm also using 900 lb/in (16kg/mm)front springs and 800 lb/in (14kg/mm) rear springs. It's built for auto-x, but works quite well at the track, as well.

Quick Reply: Advice for my Nurburgring trip