S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Alignment problems

Old 06-11-2019, 07:30 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc
All the paint?

Shoulda been more specific.

You'll want to repair all the paint you damage on the area you repair.
  • I chiselled off the old tab because I couldn't fit a drill in there.
  • if you're harvesting a donor tab, use a drill on the spot weld to remove that one. A chisel will bend/damage the "new" tab.
  • Ground the paint, ground the old spot welds mostly flat (left little nubs in there to help locate the donor tab).
  • Welded the new donor tab.
  • Then repaired the paint in the affected area.

Last edited by B serious; 06-11-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:40 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Bare metal rusts. Repair any frame paint you disturb. A rattle can of semigloss black is all you need.

The problem with toe arms, as B alluded to, is they aren't as enduring as the oem parts. They use heim joints, and these wear out. Especially with street use. They are also a little more harsh and may make some noise, especially as they age. The oem toe arms last nearly forever (eventually the rubber breaks down, but probably most S on the road today using stock arms still have their original toe arms). So if this is a street car that sees any amount of miles, and daily reliability is a concern, advise against aftermarket toe arms.

The weld on tab fix should be easy enough. Even an on tbe spot fabbed up part woukd be fine. It doesn't have to be precise. Tbe alignment will take care of that. Ot only needs to reinforce and provide full range of adjustment with the cammed washer. So any sort of reasonably located tab for washer to work against is fine.

And the tab needn't be overly robust. Its only used during alignment adjustments. Afterwards the tightened nut does all the holding.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:41 PM
rmc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Bare metal rusts. Repair any frame paint you disturb. A rattle can of semigloss black is all you need.

The problem with toe arms, as B alluded to, is they aren't as enduring as the oem parts. They use heim joints, and these wear out. Especially with street use. They are also a little more harsh and may make some noise, especially as they age. The oem toe arms last nearly forever (eventually the rubber breaks down, but probably most S on the road today using stock arms still have their original toe arms). So if this is a street car that sees any amount of miles, and daily reliability is a concern, advise against aftermarket toe arms.

The weld on tab fix should be easy enough. Even an on tbe spot fabbed up part woukd be fine. It doesn't have to be precise. Tbe alignment will take care of that. Ot only needs to reinforce and provide full range of adjustment with the cammed washer. So any sort of reasonably located tab for washer to work against is fine.

And the tab needn't be overly robust. Its only used during alignment adjustments. Afterwards the tightened nut does all the holding.
Damn, thank you so much for breaking that down for me. I appreciate! I’m glad I posted this... I’ve been worrying to fix this for months and was worried it would be expensive. Thanks again!