S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Another satisfied Ohlins DFV user

Old 04-06-2014, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by onecleanS2000' timestamp='1394754540' post='23061843
Not much at all, maybe 1/2" to 3/4" lower than stock. I don't want to roll my fenders or worry about scraping the front everywhere I go. Plus, I can really soften the shocks for highway driving without having to worry about fender rub. They come preset to lower the car about 15mm, but when I put them on the car before adjusting, I think they may lower the car closer to 20mm, so I raised them up a bit.
The Ohlins recommended ride height lowers the car 25mm from stock according to the install instructions.
Oops, you're right. I'm probably closer to 15mm from stock height with that being the case.

I’ve been meaning to post this feedback sooner, but things have been busy. I did my first track day with the Ohlins a couple of weeks ago and they performed amazingly. I recently increased the front tire size to 235 width and initially had the front and rear shocks set to 8 clicks. The rear felt a bit too loose for me, so based on Girnby’s excellent review, I softened the rear by two clicks which resulted in a perfect balance. The rear feels very planted, but not so much that it causes the car to push when accelerating out of a corner. I felt more comfortable throwing the car into the corners than I ever had. At one point, I accelerated too much coming out of a sweeper and caused the rear to break loose, but it only broke traction for a split second before regaining traction. The rear never felt like it was going to come out on me. It feels like the shocks give me an extra bit of traction and control that was missing with the Biltseins and stock suspension.

I also did an Evo school last weekend, and it happened to be raining off and on. I have very little wet autox experience and did spin on one of my first runs. However, the car overall was controllable, and again, the shocks seemed to provide a bit more grip and control than either the Bilstein or the stock suspension. Set to 12 or 14 clicks, the shocks are incredibly smooth on the road, no more harsh than the stock suspension, even though the springs are twice as stiff. I am surprised that when adjusting the shocks this soft they don’t feel overpowered by the springs, as there is no excessive bounciness.

Overall, the Ohlins are living up to my expectations. I have found they do a great job of providing the best of both worlds, outright performance and comfort.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by onecleanS2000
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1394760112' post='23061945
[quote name='onecleanS2000' timestamp='1394754540' post='23061843']
Not much at all, maybe 1/2" to 3/4" lower than stock. I don't want to roll my fenders or worry about scraping the front everywhere I go. Plus, I can really soften the shocks for highway driving without having to worry about fender rub. They come preset to lower the car about 15mm, but when I put them on the car before adjusting, I think they may lower the car closer to 20mm, so I raised them up a bit.
The Ohlins recommended ride height lowers the car 25mm from stock according to the install instructions.
Oops, you're right. I'm probably closer to 15mm from stock height with that being the case.

I’ve been meaning to post this feedback sooner, but things have been busy. I did my first track day with the Ohlins a couple of weeks ago and they performed amazingly. I recently increased the front tire size to 235 width and initially had the front and rear shocks set to 8 clicks. The rear felt a bit too loose for me, so based on Girnby’s excellent review, I softened the rear by two clicks which resulted in a perfect balance. The rear feels very planted, but not so much that it causes the car to push when accelerating out of a corner. I felt more comfortable throwing the car into the corners than I ever had. At one point, I accelerated too much coming out of a sweeper and caused the rear to break loose, but it only broke traction for a split second before regaining traction. The rear never felt like it was going to come out on me. It feels like the shocks give me an extra bit of traction and control that was missing with the Biltseins and stock suspension.

I also did an Evo school last weekend, and it happened to be raining off and on. I have very little wet autox experience and did spin on one of my first runs. However, the car overall was controllable, and again, the shocks seemed to provide a bit more grip and control than either the Bilstein or the stock suspension. Set to 12 or 14 clicks, the shocks are incredibly smooth on the road, no more harsh than the stock suspension, even though the springs are twice as stiff. I am surprised that when adjusting the shocks this soft they don’t feel overpowered by the springs, as there is no excessive bounciness.

Overall, the Ohlins are living up to my expectations. I have found they do a great job of providing the best of both worlds, outright performance and comfort.
[/quote]

Great review and detail, this is what the DFVs are all about. It is as simple as confidence and control. Making the drive feel more confident and providing more car control in a wide variety of situations.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:03 AM

I would agree. That seems to be what you get with the higher end shocks. I don't need to spend $5k+ for coilovers, so I would rather have a well designed SA shock than a cheaper DA shock. The DFV's give me extra control without me having to worry about having shocks adjusted just right.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:23 AM

Good review. What are your alignment specs?

thanks.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:38 PM

2 degrees of camber front and rear, no frot toe, about 1/32" of toe in each side in the rear. I'm thinking about just going with 0 toe in the rear, I'm almost there anyway.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

how much clicks do u use??can u see big difrent from only the clicks??i use from the full stiff 10 clicks
thanks
Old 04-26-2014, 04:31 PM

I've been using the settings the other reviewers have listed, 8 clicks in the front, 10 in the rear. More like 12 or 14 for street driving. The clicks are all measured from full stiff. You can't really feel the clicks when adjusting from a softer setting. It really seems to help to keep the rear about two clicks softer than the front, at least for me with a front and rear sway bar.