S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Brake overhaul tips?

Old 05-17-2013, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake overhaul tips?

I'm getting ready to do a complete brake overhaul. StopTech sport kit (Pads, Rotors and stainless steel lines) along with Centric calipers.
I don't want to be in the middle of the job and realize I need something that wasn't included. If I remember correctly, my old Honda pads included some grease. This kit didn't. I don't know if i should pick some up? I'm just waiting on some ATE Superblue fluid and I'll be good to go.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you do need some grease.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:44 AM

Where did you find those calipers? I'm looking to replace all 4 of mine soon and need a good place to find new (or remanufactured) OEM spec!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:02 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Get some new rotor screws. There are two on each one to hold it to hub. They always get stripped
Old 05-17-2013, 11:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello,

Just did the girl friends brakes (Chevy Cobalt) and here is what I think would be handy.

For bolts and not for lug nuts or wheel studs.

Things high lighted in red is places where you can put the grease on.

A friend to help you flush your brake fluid. I personally like bleeding mine using a piece of tubing and a bottle to catch all the fluid. If not you will have a bit of a mess to clean up.

Obviously rags because brake fluid WILL eat your paint.

Originally Posted by jst2878
Get some new rotor screws. There are two on each one to hold it to hub. They always get stripped
I have never heard of anyone that wants to replace those lol.

Finally check out my signature there is a link to a great DIY that has really good info.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by s2kreeper
Where did you find those calipers? I'm looking to replace all 4 of mine soon and need a good place to find new (or remanufactured) OEM spec!
I bought them from JC Whitney. I've read a lot of bad things from partsgeek.com sending wrong parts so I paid an extra $20 for the assurance of getting it right. Although I wish they would have gave me a matching set. Some bolts are different colors, and the e-brake bracket is painted on one and polished on the other. Also the nissin lettering on one caliper was hard to read while the other one is perfect. I will show you the difference
Old 05-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never put rotor screws back in after I pull them out.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GT Motoring II
I never put rotor screws back in after I pull them out.
+1 They are completely unnecessary and It just makes swapping rotors that much easier next time when you don't have to worry about those stupid screws stripping.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Themikewoo
Hello,

Just did the girl friends brakes (Chevy Cobalt) and here is what I think would be handy.

For bolts and not for lug nuts or wheel studs.

Things high lighted in red is places where you can put the grease on.

A friend to help you flush your brake fluid. I personally like bleeding mine using a piece of tubing and a bottle to catch all the fluid. If not you will have a bit of a mess to clean up.

Obviously rags because brake fluid WILL eat your paint.

Originally Posted by jst2878' timestamp='1368810161' post='22549495
I have never heard of anyone that wants to replace those lol.

Finally check out my signature there is a link to a great DIY that has really good info.
Very nice write up. When I viewed the thread the other day i didn't see all the pictures so the post makes more sense now. All I was seeing was "here's what I think you'll need".
The biggest pain of the day was getting the rotor screws off. After being unsuccessful with wd40 and a hammer I had to go buy some pb blaster and a sledgehammer to use with my impact screwdriver and after a few wacks they broke loose. Never again! Throw them out is a great tip.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice!

Did you snap some pictures while you were doing the job?

Quick Reply: Brake overhaul tips?