S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Buddyclub N+ extremly bouncy

Old 06-17-2016, 04:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buddyclub N+ extremly bouncy

I've had the car for 6.5 years and this year I've run into an issue with my coilovers.. I've already called Buddyclub's tech directly and I have the coils adjusted to what they told me. (180mm spring length rear/ 200mm spring length front. Which leaves me at virtually zero preload.. I've driven the car at many different damper settings and the car is still very bouncy. Not sure what I'm missing here since these are the settings that I was told to have per Buddyclub.. If anyone can share their settings for me I'd gladly appreciate it.. Driving the car at 500+ whp is extremely difficult with the suspension like this.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a 500+ hp car, I would suggest that you go get your car corner balanced professionally. A tech in a mediocre coilover company over the phone(I also own buddyclubs), or some dude on a forum won't help you much. My buddyclubs were bouncy as well when I got them, me adjusting the car made it handle like a sponge. Took it to a reputable shop, got it corner balanced, now feels like how it should be.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:50 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

N+ isn't exactly Buddy clubs best option. I like Buddy Club, as I have street and tracked their mid level race specs for over 100k miles with favorable reviews, but with investing in a 500whp S2k, the base budget street coilover wouldn't have been my first choice. Hopefully you can get the damping dialed in more to your liking, but I have to say, the internal valving is usually the first thing that gets sacrificed for the cost spent. Either bouncy because on the lower setting there inst enough rebound, or on a higher setting there is more rebound but the compression is too far jacked up and creates high bounce and wheel deflection. Try and find the best compromise, somewhere in the lower/middle likely for rear traction such as 3-7 clicks up from full soft and a little more damping up front for firmer/precises handing such as 7-12 clicks. And definitely make sure your not running any pre load on the spring, I dont care whats recommended, you only want enough turns on the spring to just get it seated so its not rattling around. You put preload on the spring and its going to be worse for compliance, and making the damper work harder then you want.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:04 PM

Received 1,254 Likes on 948 Posts

Maybe the coilovers are just worn out. Shocks aren't a lifetime part. Buddy Club makes OK coilovers. 6.5 years of use means they're probably all done being used.

How many miles are on them?
Old 06-18-2016, 01:05 PM

In before "just buy Öhlins and 71R's bro"
Old 06-18-2016, 03:35 PM

They've been on the car for a while but the car only has 62k. Maybe 30k miles total installed. I'm not talking about the handling under full power, I'm talking about regular driving here. I can't seem to figure this out. I have the dampning set on 10 clicks all around and it's not bad. There is zero preload on the springs for sure
Old 06-18-2016, 09:46 PM

Wait...you said they were bouncy. Now the damping is set to 10 clicks and its fine?

Bouncing relates to shocks that cannot damp the springs properly.

30K may still mean that they're worn out.

Try a stiffer damper setting.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:48 PM

It's still not perfect. I've been messing with the dampning adjustment here and there to try to better figure this out
Old 06-19-2016, 05:06 PM

What led up to it? They just started bouncing one day? Were they incorrectly set up before?
Old 06-19-2016, 06:07 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
In before "just buy Öhlins and 71R's bro"
just buy Öhlins and 71R's bro

30k on coilovers is reaching the end of their service cycle. I would look into having them revalved and retuned.

Quick Reply: Buddyclub N+ extremly bouncy