S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Buying Coilovers the month!

Old 04-01-2012, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Coilovers the month!

Hey everyone

So I decided the first purchase I am making for my s2000 is a set of coilovers. Been working a lot and been saving up some funds on a pair of good, reliable coilovers. I've been researching a lot but still torn between a couple of kinds of coilovers. I am really not trying to spend over $1500. In fact, around 12 or 13 would be ideal. My car is daily driven, but I want to both lower it and increase handling for roads and canyons. I might track it once in a while. I am not trying to slam my car since its daily driven. About a 1 inch or a little more drop is what im looking for.

I've narrowed my choices to:
-Fortune 500s with roller bearing upgrade (maybe with swift springs but not too sure if I need it)
-Bilstein PSS or PSS9
-Tein Monoflex (if i find a good price for them) or Tein Flex
-Eibach Prostreets
-Apexi N1's

I think I'm leaning toward the Teins because if I get them, I will most likely get the EDFC with them which is a big plus for me.

Any help would be great. Thanks!!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:50 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Out of the listed options, Fortunes w/ swifts. EDFC is great, but that + Monoflex's are going to run you over budget.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:05 PM

Yeah I decided not to get the mono flex anymore. But if I was to get the edfc, it wouldn't be for a while. Maybe just the flex.

And yes, I really like the fortunes cause a lot of people have been telling me it's a good coilover for the price. I was just unsure about the reliability in the long term.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:13 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

im loving my bilstein pss's, quality shock at a great price! They are not as stiff as the others that you have listed but they are stiffer than stock and will achieve the drop you want and are pretty much rebuildable anywhere you go.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PSS9
Old 04-02-2012, 02:27 AM

I just put the Apexi N1 Exv on my AP1, and it is really nice. Don't be fooled by their 12k spring rate, they are more comfortable than stock. It gives more natural feeling during each turn. Now I am on 16/32 clicks front and rear for break in the coilover.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 AM

I have a set of Tein Flex. I like them but i would never pay retail for them. I got crackhead deal on a new set so i figured y not. They r nice and ride pretty good if u sent them in the middle-soft setting at full stiff they r pretty harsh. One thing i do not like is i think the spring rates r too soft for my liking they come with f10k r12k ideally i would like 12/14 but this is just my preference. I do however want to try the fortune 500's valved for 14k springs. If i were to buy a new set thats what i would go for.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed...i'm also looking for coilovers.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went with fortunes they should be here this week as they were being built today. I went with 510 with swift upgrade and 13k/f 11k/r. I will give more feed back once I get them on the car but I can say their customer suport has been great!

-Brett
Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 PM

I was so close to ordering the fortunes the other day but I wanted to be sure with my decision before anything. So right now, it's narrowed between the fortunes and tein flex. I like the fortunes cause the price and performance, as well as custom spring rates. I like the tein flex based on performance and I would really want the edfc so I can customize how I want to drive my car. The only thing is that I think the flex only comes in 10k/12k rates. That might be too harsh for my taste cause my car is mainly daily driven but not too sure. but the edfc makes me want the teins lol

Quick Reply: Buying Coilovers the month!