S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Changing Springs for Koni Yellow/GC setup

Old 07-21-2014, 06:41 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Changing Springs for Koni Yellow/GC setup

The 01 I just picked up a couple months ago came with a GC/Yellow setup that was just installed and currently has ~7,000 miles, so they are basically new. They came with 7k/f and 8k/r. I really like them, but all I can compare them to is the stock 06 I had. My goal for this car is to really make an all around just fun car, something I can be competitive at local autox events with, enjoy top down every nice day I can, and to have fun with at HPDE events. I really want to put the best setup together without sinking much $. I would much rather save as much $ as I can for track days and maintenance/repairs.

That said springs can be had relatively cheap and I think it could be stiffer. I am thinking the most I could go would be 10k without revalving the shocks which now I am getting beyond the idea of getting as much as possible for as little $ as possible. The least expensive option is to swap the springs to 10k rear 9k front or even a 10k on all 4 corners. Another option is to get them revalved and go stiffer yet, but economically I am not sure that is worth it. The final option would be to take advantage of a chance to get the HKS hypermax shocks being offered in the market place with 16k springs, although I think these may be WAY to stiff for the street, plus would the shocks themselves be better than the yellows? They certainly are not as easily serviceable.

So options:
1.)just run what I have
2.) buy 9 and 10k springs and run them on the front/rear respectively.
3.)buy 10k and run those all around
4.)get the yellows revalved for something stiffer
5.)buy the HKS hypermax and sell my GC/yellow setup (maybe get $800??)

Keep in mind my goal, the best fun setup for the $. I plan to do a clutch replacement, brake pad rotor/upgrade and just general teardown and refresh this winter (maybe replace banjo bolts). So I need $ for all of that.