S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Characterization of the OE Suspension Springs

Old 09-15-2015, 06:49 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by award78
twohoos,
Can you do this calculation for the eibach front bar? I find it hard to believe that the 32mm eibach fsb is only 416in/lbs, barely stiffer than the 00-01 fsb 28.x mm which is 393 in/lbs.
I'm not sure where the eibach rates came from but that doesn't seem right.
I don't think he has enough information to do it. It always humors me when people talk about how stiff a sway bar is and the only thing they know is the diameter. That means almost nothing. You also need to know whether a solid or hollow, and what the wall thickness is.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by award78' timestamp='1442327879' post='23747435
twohoos,
Can you do this calculation for the eibach front bar? I find it hard to believe that the 32mm eibach fsb is only 416in/lbs, barely stiffer than the 00-01 fsb 28.x mm which is 393 in/lbs.
I don't think he has enough information to do it. It always humors me when people talk about how stiff a sway bar is and the only thing they know is the diameter. That means almost nothing. You also need to know whether a solid or hollow, and what the wall thickness is.
I'm glad you find that funny, but his calculations lead me to believe the thickness does play a role in the stiffness.

00-01 28.2mm 393 lb/in
08-09 27.2mm 354 lb/in
02-03 26.5mm 300 lb/in

seems to me like thickness means a lot with this type of bar. eibach looks to me like a similar hollow design but I was really wondering if twohoos had any more information about it than I did or had access to one. Thanks though.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1442328598' post='23747447
[quote name='award78' timestamp='1442327879' post='23747435']
twohoos,
I'm glad you find that funny, but his calculations lead me to believe the thickness does play a role in the stiffness.

00-01 28.2mm 393 lb/in
08-09 27.2mm 354 lb/in
02-03 26.5mm 300 lb/in

seems to me like thickness means a lot with this type of bar. eibach looks to me like a similar hollow design but I was really wondering if twohoos had any more information about it than I did or had access to one. Thanks though.

[/quote]
Sorry, I was being sarcastic, but did not mean to make it seem like it was directed specifically at you. But I'm confused with your last post, because you said that wall thickness does need to be known to make the calculation, which is exactly the same thing I said.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:44 AM

Sorry, I was being sarcastic, but did not mean to make it seem like it was directed specifically at you. But I'm confused with your last post, because you said that wall thickness does need to be known to make the calculation, which is exactly the same thing I said.
No problem, I guess I meant to say diameter instead of thickness. I'm assuming the wall thickness of the eibach fsb is similar enough to oem that it doesn't make a huge difference, maybe a bad assumption.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1442330919' post='23747507
No problem, I guess I meant to say diameter instead of thickness. I'm assuming the wall thickness of the eibach fsb is similar enough to oem that it doesn't make a huge difference, maybe a bad assumption.
No problem. Yes, you definitely cannot make an assumption like that. Companies that sell multiple different types of bars, such as Gendron, cell bars in various diameters and wall thicknesses including solid bars.

From what I remember, there have always been a lack of manufacturers that make a bar stiffer than the stiffest OEM bar. Only Gendron, and modaddiction, whose bar is a copy of the old Saner, currently make a bar that is stiffer than the oem. I believe there were two other manufacturers in the past, white line was one and I don't remember the other, that ever made a bar stiffer.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by award78' timestamp='1442331846' post='23747517
[quote name='davidc1' timestamp='1442330919' post='23747507']
No problem. Yes, you definitely cannot make an assumption like that. Companies that sell multiple different types of bars, such as Gendron, cell bars in various diameters and wall thicknesses including solid bars.

From what I remember, there have always been a lack of manufacturers that make a bar stiffer than the stiffest OEM bar. Only Gendron, and modaddiction, whose bar is a copy of the old Saner, currently make a bar that is stiffer than the oem. I believe there were two other manufacturers in the past, white line was one and I don't remember the other, that ever made a bar stiffer.
[/quote]
Ok thanks, if that's the case I'll just go with the 00/01 ap1 fsb and maybe a softer rear sway. I have the old saner and it's a little too pushy and kind of a rough ride for my taste.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1442332245' post='23747522
[quote name='award78' timestamp='1442331846' post='23747517']

[/quote]
Ok thanks, if that's the case I'll just go with the 00/01 ap1 fsb and maybe a softer rear sway. I have the old saner and it's a little too pushy and kind of a rough ride for my taste.
[/quote]

What is your setup on wheels and tires? Do you have a square set up? That would be the only reason you want a stiffer bar.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by award78' timestamp='1442333802' post='23747539
[quote name='davidc1' timestamp='1442332245' post='23747522']

[/quote]
[/quote]

What is your setup on wheels and tires? Do you have a square set up? That would be the only reason you want a stiffer bar.
[/quote]
yes 17x9 255 square, still some understeer and IIRC the oem bar was less harsh over bumps. I moved to wear the roads are much worse now.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1442334020' post='23747542
[quote name='award78' timestamp='1442333802' post='23747539']
[quote name='davidc1' timestamp='1442332245' post='23747522']

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
yes 17x9 255 square, still some understeer and IIRC the oem bar was less harsh over bumps. I moved to wear the roads are much worse now.
[/quote] going to a square setup massively shift the balance of your handling to the front of your car. You definitely want to keep the Saner bar. Otherwise you will have a massively oversteering car. And go to an 04 or above rear bar. Do not get rid of the center bar, or you will have a car that will be easy to spin. Another thing you want to do to make the balance of your car more neutral, is go to a spring set up like to CR, or swift spec R spring
Old 09-15-2015, 08:35 AM

] going to a square setup massively shift the balance of your handling to the front of your car. You definitely want to keep the center bar. Otherwise you will have a massively oversteering car. And go to an 04 or above rear bar. Do not get rid of the center bar, or you will have a car that will be easy to spin
Center bar?? you mean saner bar?

Quick Reply: Characterization of the OE Suspension Springs