S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Clunking sound coming from right rear.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking sound coming from right rear.

Hey guys,

So i recently posted a thread about a wierd knocking sound coming from the rear suspension.
After taking the car in, i was told that it was because the suspension was missing the bumpstops.

Instead of fixing this, i decided to just buy coilovers. lol
Well...I installed the coils last night and on my way to work this morning, i heard the damn knocking sound coming from the right rear again!!! I made sure all the bolts were tightened and everything was secure but it obviously didnt fix the sound.

Im going to double check everything this afternoon but has anyone experienced this before? It sounds like clunking metal to metal contact.

*Update*
So i got under the car this weekend and decided to check the rear axles. I found the axles to have a bit of play in them. I was able to give them a good shake and almost replicate the sound ive been hearing. Does anyone think that this might be the cause of the clunking noises? Also, the car just doesnt handle the way it used to and the rear end feels a bit wobbly...

key points:
*sound was there with OEM suspension
*sound is still there with coilovers
*metal to metal contact

This is my cars suspension history up until now.

OEM
OEM shocks w/Tanabe GF210 springs = 1" drop
Buddyclub N+ = slammed w/no finger gap
OEM
BC Racing BR coilovers - current = 2 finger gap

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
-Greg
Old 06-03-2011, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

swaybar?
Old 06-03-2011, 07:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I have the same issue. I heard it was one of the rear tophats. Did your coilovers come with new tophats? I don't know if it is the rear swaybar. I disconnected my rear sway bar for an autox and reconnected afterwords being sure all bolts were tight. Sound was there before and after. I found a thread somewhere on here before on the topic...
Old 06-05-2011, 06:54 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

check the castle nut holding the tie rod end. The sound was from the entire wheel and assembly shifting back and forth about 1/4". This exact same thing was happening to another guy on the boards at a tech meet and it turned out to be a loose castle nut. Only thing keeping the nut from coming completely off was the damn cotter pin!
Old 06-05-2011, 08:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^I will check that, but I have a strong feeling that isn't where mine is coming from. I Autocross regularly and I feel that tech inspect would have caught my entire wheel/hub assembly being capable of shifting back and forth by a quarter inch. They grab and shake each wheel to check for bad wheel bearings and such.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

do they do that with the tire off or on the ground?
Old 06-05-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
^I will check that, but I have a strong feeling that isn't where mine is coming from. I Autocross regularly and I feel that tech inspect would have caught my entire wheel/hub assembly being capable of shifting back and forth by a quarter inch. They grab and shake each wheel to check for bad wheel bearings and such.
Don't ever assume everything is fine. Check every bolt. Also, were you lowered on the stock suspension?
Old 06-05-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
check the castle nut holding the tie rod end. The sound was from the entire wheel and assembly shifting back and forth about 1/4". This exact same thing was happening to another guy on the boards at a tech meet and it turned out to be a loose castle nut. Only thing keeping the nut from coming completely off was the damn cotter pin!
THis sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing! Im gonna go lift the car right now and ill update with what i find.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:00 PM

So I raised the car and checked for any loose bolts and couldnt find anything. I do feel like my whole assy is shifting back and forth like mentioned above. Im just going to take that car in to Honda and let them take care of it. I want my S to handle like it used to!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 05:42 PM

did you check the swaybar? when you tighten it (especially when its loaded) you need to do it with a hex key else it rotates
otherwise you think you tightenned it but you didn't and it clunks

Quick Reply: Clunking sound coming from right rear.