S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

DIY: Ballade Sports Compliance Bushing Install

Old 10-27-2015, 04:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got a full h beam 10ton press from harbor freight for a little over $100. Great thing to have in the garage if you have room and it pressed in/out my compliance bushings with ease.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

FYI, I wrote a diy somewhere on this site on how to press out old, and press in new compliance bushing without a shop press, and without removing control arm from car (leave balljoint connected). I will post a link here later.

In my diy I used a mugen bushing, but it should work equally well with Ballades bushing.

Basically, you use a rented balljoint press (giant C-clamp looking thing), threaded rod (or really long bolt), and homemade driver (using $10 worth of exhaust pipe adapters).

Note, in Ballades instructions they neglect to mention the nut securing the lower shock mount is welded to shock (if you have stock shocks). So DON'T LOOSEN NUT, instead loosen bolt. Otherwise you will tear the weld loose. Not a huge deal, but annoying if you make this mistake.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 10-30-2015, 02:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
FYI, I wrote a diy somewhere on this site on how to press out old, and press in new compliance bushing without a shop press, and without removing control arm from car (leave balljoint connected). I will post a link here later.

In my diy I used a mugen bushing, but it should work equally well with Ballades bushing.

Basically, you use a rented balljoint press (giant C-clamp looking thing), threaded rod (or really long bolt), and homemade driver (using $10 worth of exhaust pipe adapters).

Note, in Ballades instructions they neglect to mention the nut securing the lower shock mount is welded to shock (if you have stock shocks). So DON'T LOOSEN NUT, instead loosen bolt. Otherwise you will tear the weld loose. Not a huge deal, but annoying if you make this mistake.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Edited the original post to add that in, thank you for pointing that out.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My eccentric bolt is frozen on 1 side, maybe it's time to cut it out and install these...
Old 11-27-2015, 02:16 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GunNam
My eccentric bolt is frozen on 1 side, maybe it's time to cut it out and install these...
As long as you are not near coastal communities or snow/salted roads I would do it
Old 11-28-2015, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to vouch for Alex and Matt. being at their shop and talking to them personally they do know what they are talking about and are very helpful and kind. Initially Matt's red s2k did not have these sphericals installed (I'm guessing because of the huge pain in the ass it is to actually install these things) but the end result is definitely worth it. The install itself is quite a task, especially if you do not have an access to a lift, so I would plan on doing multiple mods at the same time while doing the spherical bushings. If you plan on swapping ball joints, suspension, springs, control arms, spoon rigid collars etc now is the time I would suggest to do so.

You will need an access to a friend with a press, a friend who owns a shop with a press and is willing to help you out, or your own press to remove the old bushings. The manufacturing tolerance on these sphericals are superb and fit perfectly. The cost is a bit on the high side when you compare prices of other modifications, but the sphericals are definitely worth the price and patience to install. The car will feel more responsive without the harshness typically associated with spherical bushings. Steering response is more direct,the car responds immediately to you as soon as you make a steering input and I could argue that this is one of y favorite modifications for driver improvement I have added. I have owned my pair for over a year and not a single passenger or driver has ever made comment about these bushings. In fact none of them even knew that they were installed.

The only gripe I have with the full kit is that the kit is missing the rear lower spherical bushing (which honestly is not necessary). I did end up replacing mine with hard race ones for a little over $200 shipped (http://www.buyhardrace.com/product/h...s2000_233.html)

These bushings are one of the most affordable spherical on the market (compared to hard race, spoon, etc) and are defintely a must have for the serious track go-er, just be prepared to have some down time to install them.

Alex and Matt both know what they are doing with their s2000s and I would highly recommend them if you're in the local SoCal area. If I were in the SoCal area, I'd probably be pestering them every week trying acquire more knowledge from their expertise.

If you get a chance to visit their shop, be sure to check out the hordes of s2000s and Alex's personal spoon inspired k20/k24 monster of an AP2.

P.S. Alex and Matt, don't know if you remember me from a couple weeks ago but you gave me and a couple friends a tour around the shop while we stopped by in California. We were extremely impressed by your staff and shop so keep it up. Hope you guys come to Utah sometime and I might even let you take a spin in my TT AP2 or maybe even let you take a lap or two.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just what I needed!