S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

DIY: Clutch Bleed (Gravity Method)

Old 12-10-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick question. My clutch started dropping this week, only engaging about 3-4 inches from the floor. Got my fluid in today, used the baster to clear out the top stuff, and it looks like there may be a bit of debris in the tube of the baster. Put some new fluid in, and it immediately turns muddy gray/brown. I got Motul RBF600, so it should be the light color of oil. Am I looking at corrosion? Need to replace the slave cylinder and/or master cylinder?
Thank you in advance
Old 12-10-2015, 06:46 PM

Received 413 Likes on 344 Posts

Keep draining and filling, until it stays clear. Ideally you want to drain, refill, bleed, then drain and fill again.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did exactly what you said a d my clutch improved a lot. Thanks for this post.

BTW, 3/16" ID hose works great.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the write up.

I haven't tried this out yet, but was looking at it this weekend knowing that I need to change the fluid and I came across this DIY.

Will be swapping the fluid soon.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:17 AM

Would it be ok to speed up the process by pressing slightly the clutch pedal for a couple of times?
Old 04-06-2016, 07:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by marc1598
Would it be ok to speed up the process by pressing slightly the clutch pedal for a couple of times?
Not unless you have someone else closing the valve before you let go of the pedal..

The fluid capacity in the system is so little that you wouldn't save much time by pushing the clutch pedal. Gravity method works well enough.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the writeup. Was driving on the mountain the other day when my clutch stopped working near the top. Drove almost 30 miles in 2nd gear back down.

Ordered the hose, baster, and ATE fluid through Amazon (roughly $35 with Prime shipping) and took about 20 minutes to get everything going. Jacking up the car is always the hard part in these little maintenance items. While the car was up also cleaned the K&N filter and did an oil change. Could not believe how the clutch was supposed to feel like again.

Before the clutch pedal went, the pedal started to stick to the floor as the car warmed up, eventually not allowing me to shift out of gear. Very spongy feeling when I could lift the clutch off the floor with my foot.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:35 PM

Received 116 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by travanx
Thanks for the writeup. Was driving on the mountain the other day when my clutch stopped working near the top. Drove almost 30 miles in 2nd gear back down.

Ordered the hose, baster, and ATE fluid through Amazon (roughly $35 with Prime shipping) and took about 20 minutes to get everything going. Jacking up the car is always the hard part in these little maintenance items. While the car was up also cleaned the K&N filter and did an oil change. Could not believe how the clutch was supposed to feel like again.

Before the clutch pedal went, the pedal started to stick to the floor as the car warmed up, eventually not allowing me to shift out of gear. Very spongy feeling when I could lift the clutch off the floor with my foot.
You may want to look into replacing your clutch master cylinder. If your fluid disappeared, it will likely do it again, just a matter of time. The clutch master cylinder is an extremely common cause of this leak. Just sayin.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:56 AM

Received 413 Likes on 344 Posts

Just cause it leaks don't mean it's bad. They all leak a little bit, but as long as you're not getting air in the lines what's the problem. Mine leaks a little, and has been weeping for 40k miles, clutch pedal works like a champ. Then again I do bleed my clutch bi-yearly and replace the clutch fluid every other month.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RTL2K
I tried this method to bleed the clutch, but practically no fluid came out even when the reservoir is full. It bled about 1 oz of fluid veeeery slowly and it seems to have stopped completely. anyone have an idea what can be causing this? is the bleed screw clogged?
I'm having this problem too. Can anyone chime in??? Did clutch bleed via gravity method but it was coming out very slowly and it eventually stopped.

Quick Reply: DIY: Clutch Bleed (Gravity Method)