S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

DIY Honda S2000 Wisefab Rear Suspension Kit

Old 07-18-2019, 07:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY Honda S2000 Wisefab Rear Suspension Kit

I'm in no way marketing wisefab's products, this is merely a DIY tutorial.

Tools Needed:
Shop Press
Shop Press Bearing Adapters
3/8 drive with extension
1/4 drive with extension
10mm socket
14mm socket
17mm wrench
17mm socket
36mm axles nut
Torque wrench

Parts Needed:
Wisefab Rear installation kit
(2) S2000 rear bearings
(2) S2000 rear hub
(4) Zip Ties

Torque Specs:
*Note
All bolts that come with the kit are grade 10.9. Wisefab did not send torque specs with the kit which was annoying, when I called them they stated I would have to search what the maximum torque is for each bolt based off of the bolts diameter.
I will update the torque specs later.

Special Notes:
OEM suspension is roughly 27lbs per side, without toe arms, when I added the toe arm it was approx 2lbs more.
Wisefab is approx 20lbs per side
****ENKEI RPF1 17" DO NOT FIT****, you would need a wheel with an inner diameter of more than 16" in order to fit
ABS Sensor bolt needs to be replaced with a shorter one, because the bolt wasn't tapped long enough on the kit

More pictures coming soon. We just purchased advan rg2 17x8.5 in order for it to fit.

OEM suspension

OEM 27.8lbs without toe arm

WiseFab Bearing and Hub Installed

WiseFab Bearing and Hub Installed

WiseFab 23.2lbs
Old 07-18-2019, 09:51 AM

Received 1,254 Likes on 948 Posts

Why would you use max torque for each bolt? That's not a very well thought out recommendation.

Fastenal's website has an excellent torque/tension chart. And max torque will depend on a lot of factors...including lubrication and coating used on the fasteners.

But....what about leaving room for the dynamic loads put on the bolt?

Max recommended torque is usually 75% of proof tension load of the bolt. This does leave you a lot of room for dynamic loading...but...

It's not good practice to use torque to 75% proof if the dynamic load is going to stretch the bolt beyond that.

I don't see why one couldn't just use OEM specs, which DO take dynamic loading into account.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:30 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Thank you for sharing. What is this car going to be used for and are you installing rear wisefab kit only?
Old 07-21-2019, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
Why would you use max torque for each bolt? That's not a very well thought out recommendation.

Fastenal's website has an excellent torque/tension chart. And max torque will depend on a lot of factors...including lubrication and coating used on the fasteners.

But....what about leaving room for the dynamic loads put on the bolt?

Max recommended torque is usually 75% of proof tension load of the bolt. This does leave you a lot of room for dynamic loading...but...

It's not good practice to use torque to 75% proof if the dynamic load is going to stretch the bolt beyond that.

I don't see why one couldn't just use OEM specs, which DO take dynamic loading into account.

We used OEM specs on all the bolts connected to the subframe. The bolts that we connected to the knuckle on the other hand were not OEM spec if i'm not mistaken, I personally did not torque them, for this reason I do not know the numbers. I will get the numbers in the next few days.

I completely agree with you. It's stupid the fact they did NOT give any torque specs, you would think spending this much $$$ you would atleast get some torque settings....

Originally Posted by F1TwoThousand
Thank you for sharing. What is this car going to be used for and are you installing rear wisefab kit only?
As of right now we only installed the rear because we got a really good deal. We plan to do the fronts just a matter of when. We mainly Auto X now but we plan to go back to the track vigorously.

Suspension settings as of now w/ driver inside at 150lbs:
FL -3.0 camber, +0.05 toe
FR -3.0 camber, +0.05 toe
RL -2.5 camber, +0.15 toe
RR -2.5 camber, +0.15 toe

The car is very neutral right now, in the video the rear end is a little to stiff imo, we will still need to tweak the shock settings.

Little T Mountain Run. GTI joined the fun lol..
Old 07-21-2019, 11:29 AM

Ive been eyeing the wisefab kit for a daily driver. I would run 45/17 or 45/18 rear tires to 'soften' the car. Wonder how much noisr the bushings themselves make.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:54 PM

Ive been eyeing the wisefab kit for a daily driver. I would run 45/17 or 45/18 rear tires to 'soften' the car. Wonder how much noisr the bushings themselves make.
I have ran with spherical as a daily and it really doesn't make noise. My away bar spherical make a lot more noise. When I upgraded the rear it didn't change anything.

So far the only noticable difference is the rear is a lot more stiffer (as if I upgraded springs) than I expected it to be. Running at 15 clicks the car still feels very stiff.

The 7lbs of unsprung weight I saved really made a bigger impact than I expected. The next autox or track I go to I will definitely be able to tell how much it changed the Dynamics of the car.

Wisefab's statement that it makes the car completely responsive is really based off the spherical bushings than anything else. If you are looking for responsiveness I would just rather buy spherical bushings. I would like to note one of the major reasons why we bought this was for rigidity. We believe that the knuckle is stronger than oem and will not break. We have heard a lot of horror stories of the rear knuckles breaking due to grippy tires and understress. We hope to prevent this.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:28 PM

What rim/tire size are you running?
Old 07-21-2019, 09:40 PM

What rim/tire size are you running?
Advan rg2 17x8.5 +50
255/40/17

Our plan is to get around 265/275/285 in the rear with a 255/265/275 in the front, if possible.

Obviously we will change rims in order to get the most out of the rear. Right now we are merely testing to figure out what would be best for our set up. Worst case scenario, we buy a set of ce28n 18" throw some 285 and see what breaks lol.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:57 AM

Received 1,254 Likes on 948 Posts

Dont the wisefab parts have anti-bumpsteer and roll center correction geometry built into them?

Also...I haven't heard too many people breaking knuckles. People usually toast the rear wheel bearing. I am sure that some of that has to do with flex in the knuckle.

Who's breaking knuckles? Now I'm a bit worried....
Old 07-22-2019, 08:39 AM

Don't know them personally.

(1) Bob at AutoX broke his rear knuckle with 285 rear tires. I believe he also had re71r's.
I heard second count at a track event (i didn't have the chance to go) that a knuckle broke.

Non the less, with grippy tires and excess heat, things begin to warp and break. I do know that over torqued bolts can lead to premature breakage during high stress situations.

It does have anti bump steer correction, which is nice.

Quick Reply: DIY Honda S2000 Wisefab Rear Suspension Kit